Which swamper do I want? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2000, 08:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Which swamper do I want?

I can't decide on what Swamper Tire I want. I want to get 35" super swampers for my CJ. My cj is only driven on the road to get to the trails.

Do I want Radials? bias ply? TSL? SX's? Whats your suggestion?

I run mostly mud, which should I want more?

1997 TJ w/ 33's & 1984 CJ7 w/35's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2000, 09:47 AM
FlMudCJ

Re: Which swamper do I want?

I'll second the question. I realise that the boggers are the best, but sometimes I can barely spin the thornburgs in the mud, but that's mostly a gearing problem... But I don't want them quite yet, so besides bogger (and obviously thonburg) what would be the best 35" swamper???

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2000, 10:49 AM
Old Hand

I run plain old bias Swampers and love them. My CJ is flat towed to the trail head and thats about all the street use they get. The only problems I have with these tires is that they are flat spot after only a couple days of sitting and; they are heavy not bad for me but for the mud that might suck.

My first Jeep was a CH-47 "Chinook"
83 CJ5 4.2 t176 300 4.56 33s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-22864-Ortega1.jpg (40.0 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2000, 11:01 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Forget the radials, they suck. Everyone I know that runs them off road hates them, especially in the mud. I don't know about the new SSR's though. I like the Bias Ply Swampers, but then it's all I've run. I have seen the others in action though, and asked about them. The SX's are mainly for rocks, where a huge sidewall is needed, or if you're running a heavy rig.

The SSR's are available in 35x12.5 and 35x14.5, both a 6 ply, but with 21/32" of tread. The SX's are available in 35x15.5 only, with 8 ply, but with 24/32" of tread. The TSL's are available in 15/35 and Q78 (35x10.5), both with 6 ply, but the 15/35 has 24/32" of tread and the Q78's have 27/32" of tread. A LOT of people in ou club have gone to the Q78's and love them, They used to run 34x9.5" Swampers TSL's and said they can go a LOT more places with these tires. I am still running the 33" TSL's, but only because I bought 4 of them with rims for $200. I plan to run Boggers later, after the 350 upgrade. I do know of a lady in our club who's running Q78's with a YJ 4 cyl, but I haven't seen her in action yet.

These have more info on them.
http://www.natltire.com/pages/specs1.html for TSL's.
http://www.natltire.com/pages/specs4.html for SSR's.
http://www.natltire.com/pages/specs2.html for SX's.

My recommendation would be to go with the Q78's or the 36x12.5 TSL's. I have seen a guy with the 35x15.5's "float" on a muddy hill and not be able to get anywhere (2" of mud, very greasy). He had Scout II D44's, locked, with an auto and 360. The guy I bought the tires from crept past him with his lifted but open CJ-5 running my tires. The tires were the right width for the weight, something to consider. I like the 12.5" width, although a little narrower might be better. The 8 ply sidewall has also come in handy, I run the tires at 4 psi, but inadventently ran two of them flat last year (NO AIR AT ALL). It wasn't anywhere near the rim and got me out of the woods. It still looked like they were filled 1/2 way with air. The rims had become so dented they wouldn't hold air, in fact, they still don't. It's in the barn now with no air in the tires, I have another set of rims to change to (from 8" to 7"). I hope this helps in your decision making.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/ Scout II D44's F&R 4.10's & Lockrights
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-22867-caribou-dallassmall.jpg (18.7 KB, 0 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2000, 12:04 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>I'll second that. I love my Q78 TSL's (which are a bit taller than 35X15.50's BTW) & used to run 38X12.50's B4 these (only 36" true diameter). The Q's or 36X12.50's will work better than the 35's under most mud conditions. Boggers are best left to racers & guys who have to climb over greazy rocks. With a low-perf. engine & just plain mud, you'll be glad you skipped the Boggers. If you run really thick clay, you'll REALLY be glad you skipped the Boggers. BTW, I don't run my Swampers on pavement at all.</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2000, 05:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Personally I Love the Boggers, I run a YJ with a 401 and scout 44's , 4.10 gears, front and rear with lockers. I usually run mud and rock and the 35" Boggers do a great job but forget about your stereo on the pavement. Air them down and they'll grab just about anything! But I'd skip them if you plan on driving any distance on pavement.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2000, 06:07 PM
Keyboard Implanted

if you got some balls in that jeep.. id run the boggers.. have had most swamppers and i love them the best. but you have to be able to spin them. and if you go with a bias ply.. you wont get much over 15-20000 miles on them till they are bald.. those are street miles.. your radials you will get way more miles dont know of any figures.. but a friend of mine had like 20000 on his and still had plenty of tread.. did alright in the mud.. but he was turning some serious rpms.. and one last note.. any mud tire is better than those thornbirds.. even a bfg or some elcheapo mud tire.. you just have to spin them to clean them out... and there are no open spaces in thornbirds.. nothing to dig, nothing to clean out..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2000, 08:02 PM
FlMudCJ

Oh yeah, I hate 'em, but the price was right, got some good rims, and they're alot better than what I had... but now its time to upgrade...

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2000, 12:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

is it just me or is national tire the only place that list the q78 in the 4x mags, How come it seems like that narrow tires are allways cheaper? do they cost less to make consiedering you are getting less rubber?
later
andy

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2000, 02:30 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>Lot's of other sizes that NOBODY lists. How about a 12X15 TSL? An R85 Buckshot Mudder? A 9.00/16 Gumbo Mudder? All of the above exist, but you never see 'em.</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode