v8 with single muffler? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 08:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

v8 with single muffler?

i just got done lifting my motor/tranny/x-case up so now i have nopthing hanging down below the frame rails. well i had to cut the pipe and muffler off of one side and the other muffler is now hitting the body so it is going to have to go too. my problem is fitting these flowmasters in between the frame rails and them not interfering with anything else. i was wondering if i could go to a single muffler setup? any ideas or sugguestions on this? would i need a muffler with a 3" in and a 3" out? if i can't do this i think i'll just go to glass packs. they are loud but they don't take up alot of room.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 10:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: v8 with single muffler?

i have the glass packs (dual) on mine.. with it running right next to the frame rails.. and out the back corners.. i love it.. nothing hangs down.. and its not that loud.. i mean chris with the just a few feet of pipe.. and then the packs.. is waaaay louder than mine.. course i dont have a cam.. engine is all stock.. but i think its pretty quiet..
you can do the single route.. just bring the one side over.. using the low part of the oil pan.. in front of the bell housing..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 01:30 PM

My buddy just did his the way Jeepgod said. I really like it. If all you do is rockcrawl I'd say their is a chance of damage, but not much more than pan damage. He used a small turbo muffler, quieter than a glasspack and still sounds good w/ some throttle.

Lead , follow , or WINCH ME OUT!!!!
http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 02:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

do i need a muffler with a 3" inlet/outlet or can i just use one of my 2 1/4" inlet/outlet flowmasters?

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 06:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Brian.....here is what I discovered working with our many 350 Chev-Lays in pickups over the years. THE BEST setup by far is the single pipe 2-1/2" all the way with a Napa 2-1/2" X 2-1/2" turbo muffler. It outperforms dual 2" hands down. I took the pickup out on the road before the switch and checked it through a 1/4 mile and did it afterward. MUCH IMPROVED with the single big pipe.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 09:55 PM

I'm doing the same thing. I've alwards big before the muffler, smaller at the exit so I was thinking of running 3 to the muffler and 2 1/2 out back.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 10:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

im no nascar race car builder.. or anything.. but if im talkin.. im sayin.. that i would run the largest pipe i can find.. i dont see it hurtin.. course i dont have a dyno handie.. but im sure its not that much..
if you are that worried about it.. just get you one of them foriegn shiny exhaust doo dads... they add about 50 hp..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode