First jeep fire today..need help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

First jeep fire today..need help

Earlier I was starting my cj..and it usually backfires and takes a while to warm up..Most of the time I have to get out the gascan and pour a little gas straight into the carb.For some reason my choke doesn't want to work or something doesn't and this is the only way to do it.I would like to know why I have to do this and..It was backfiring earlier..and fire was coming out of my carb.I had most of the air cleaner assembely off and a plastic piece caught on fire..so ofcourse I panicked and wished that my fire extinguisher was charged.I took the piece of and threw it on the ground..the fire went out moments later.Well on my venture to warm it up(in all it took about 5-7 minutes) the carb kept backfiring..sometimes with real fire.I don't know if this is normal or not..but it kind of scare me!So if anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated!

If knowledge=power and time=money.. please donate all your time and knowledge to my jeep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 08:08 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: First jeep fire today..need help

Sounds like you choke is totally out of adjustment. I don't know all of the reasons for this but it's causing the backfiring and the hard starting. I'm assuming you have the 258 I6 engine. Most Jeepers ('specially newer jeepers) install a manual choke to replace the worn out auto choke. I prefer to upgrade/rebuild the electric choke. It's such a PITA to have to deal with that gas can and air cleaner just to get out of the driveway. Then once you have it working decent, it's such a thrill when you don't have to sweat starting your jeep. Just push the pedal to the floor, the start it!! WOO HOO!!

When your jeep is cold, you should remove you air cleaner. When you push your gas pedal to the floor (once) your choke should fall almost completely closed (about 1/16" gap). Then you should be able to start the jeep. Once it is running, your choke should slowly open. If this isn't the case, you probably have a bad "thermostatic spring" or whatever they call it. If your jeep has the manifold tube that feeds the carb hot air, you should replace it with an aftermarket electric choke. They seem to work a lot better.

Boy that's a lot of rambling. I'm not sure I have helped, but investigate your choke. I think that's your main problem.

GOOD LUCK

DREW
IN2DEEP <font color=red>78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 08:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My experience with backifiring is that it is usually related to something in the firing but with the choke problem you are having it could have something to do with it. Does it do alright once it is warm? If it does I would say it is firing related if its alright after it warms up then it must be the carb and I would get it fixed soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 11:01 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Hey, I know all about engine fires. I've had 5 under the hood of the Scout II and 3 under the dash. Still runs, once we found the underhood problem, carb had unbolted itself and was leaking gas eveywhere. The underdash problem we fixed with a fuse, still not sure of why it shorts out, it's a rats nest and intermittent.

From the sounds of the fire in the tailpipe, it's unburned fuel, resulting from dumping too much into the engine. It passes through and the hot exhaust ignites it (this is assuming the engine is hot). The manul choke is fine for a trail rig (like mine), but I'd definitely get the auto one fixed.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

I dont have the auto choke..the manual is up on the dash.I have the 258..and one thing i dont know if this is it.You know that arm thing that connects a piece of the choke wire to the carb?Well it had some kind of spacer that was in L shape or something at one end which pushed the cable away from the thing kind of..well I lost this and put the cable directly on the arm.
Thank you..everyone on here is great help!

If knowledge=power and time=money.. please donate all your time and knowledge to my jeep!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

To topfuel7
It backfires for about 5-7 minutes after she gets strated...she wants to die though.Anytime i press the gas in a decent way it will backfire through the carb and lose power.I just rev it up and try to get her warm.It will still backfire through the carb after about 10 minutes..only randomly though..sometimes it doesn't happen...but if it does it does it about maybee every couple minutes to about 10.
Thanks
Jeepn
It was fire straight from the carb..I could see it sitting in the jeep.I guess its not a backfire then is it?Isn't a backfire only from a tailpipe?Um btw

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 05:40 PM

Sounds to me like your timing is WAY off! If it is too far advances the cylinder will fire while the intake valve is still open, allowing the flame to travel up the intake manifold and out the throat of the carb. Also, if your valves are sticking it can cause this.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2000, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

I noticed one thing about not starting..My choke doesnt work.I have to get out and I'm the manual choke.I'll have my dad check my timing tomorrow.What do I do to change my manual choke into an automatic?My dad said it use to be automatic but I would have to buy all these parts to reconvert.
Thanks
Joey

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2000, 12:03 AM

joey- it sounds like you are having alot of fun with this jeep! Did you ever get that gas pumping problem sovled?

78 cj7 for sale (insert tears here).
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2000, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

I am having *much* fun with this jeep.The gas tank was full I guess [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img].I guess I have a small gas tank.I did get the leak fixed with some steel harderner though.Whats the story on the cj?

One day..not far from now.Your children will open A "Big Truck Book" with all the heavy machinary,bulldozers and all..then you will stand in awe at the site of my '76 CJ-5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode