Locker versus spool. My opinion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 02:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Locker versus spool. My opinion

I have been seeing a lot of locker vs spool ? on this BBS. Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Jeep. A locker is a differential, a Spool is not. I really feel you need a diff on the street. DON'T YOU? comments please.

Thanks, Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 07:43 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Locker versus spool. My opinion

I have been thinking about the discussion about the pros and cons of the two. I know since I have been on this board I have learned alot of things. I previously have only been reading the magzines and taking their word, but I have been opening up and I realize not everything in printed in the magazines is the gospel. The magazines seem to get alot of readers to think that there way is the WAY. The locker vs. spool debate has been in the magazines recently. I remember about a year two years ago the magazines did a story about spools and said never to ride on street with them. Now one of the latest magazines said it is OK, too an extent to go with a spool on the street. I read both articles. I liked the idea of a spool. It was cheap and it was definately positive in locking. But I had to realize that it would be dumb and dangerous for me to have a spool because in south florida it is very rainy in the summer. I could definately see myself spinning around corners and losing it. My 63 CJ5 has a real small wheel base and that would not be a positive thing. I am probably going to get a lockrite. I know people say that they are as strong as the case, but for me it would be fine. I run a V6, I don't have a lead foot, and after my tax return i will be running 34 x 950 swampers. This setup will get me through what i want and i will have a ball at it. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

And like I said earlier, I have learned so much from this board. It gives me other peoples view points on how things work. Not to dis the magazines, which I love to read on the toilet [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img], and don't anyone else say they don't read the magazines while sitting on the crapper. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] But the BBS gives me more of an open perspective.

Oh I think I have ranted to much I will move on to other posts.
See ya
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 08:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i run detroit's front and rear but i will say if i had it to do again i'd go spool rear (that is if they made a 30spline dana60 spool). my jeep is primarily a trail rig so i think the spool is the way to go. i have talked to quite a few people who run them and all sing thier praises. fyrball, your one of the only ones who has run one in a jeep and didn't like it ( i think you have said in the past you have run one right?) in the future i want to put a dana60 in the front of my jeep and at the same time i will have a set of 35spline shafts made for my rear. then i'll take my rear detroit and swap out the side gears and put it in the front and go with the spool in the rear. the $300 i'll save on the locker will all but pay for my new rear 35 spline shafts.

i will say that i wouldn't go with a spool on a daily driver.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 10:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know several people that are running spools in the rear with no problems. they are vehicles that see occasional street use, but are not everyday drivers. The big disadvantage is tire wear.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 06:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have not run one in a Jeep, but in an 11 second street/strip car. The only thing I really didn't like was how bad it would bind going around corners. I would usually have to bring the RPM's pretty close to the stall speed of the converter to keep moving while cornering. My soft DOT approved tires also wore very fast, and because of how soft they where, I am sure it contributed to the binding. I have no problem with a spool in a trail only rig, that is trailered to and from the trails, but if it sees any street time at all, I really feel that you need a differential. I will admit that a Spool will handle more predictable then a locker. One more thing, how many spools have you seen on asphalt circle track cars, I am sure they are out there, but I havn't seen any, but spools are used in all forms of dirt track racing. Must be a reason.

Thanks, Ray

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 07:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The reason you don't see them on asphalt racers is the obvious one, the inside tire is traveling at a different speed than the outer one. You could do this with different size tires, but you would need to be so very exact on size it couldn't happen in the real world.

Brad
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 10:29 PM
Nickmil

When I was racing asphalt on stock cars we ran a spool. It worked very well but we compensated with different tire sizes. this is called tire stagger. It was an extreme pain in the but because every tires circumference had to be measured and matched against the other 3 tires to make the car handle right. I know 1 guy running a spool in his Jeep. He drives it like a maniac (good driver though) but again, as mentioned, it isn't a daily driver. Of course he broke a couple of detroit lockers too. He really likes the spool. Personally, I'll spend money on lockers to be able to drive on the street safely and comfortably. Bottom line, it comes down to needs and usage. Nickmil.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 10:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

one thing i have seen from alot of previous post on this subeject are that almost everyone who has one in thier jeep loves them. the other thing that i notice is that there are alot of people who bad mouth them but don't nor ever have run them in thier jeep. to all of those considering a spool, make sure you talk to people who actually run one before you make your decision.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2000, 12:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Broke a Detroit Locker!? That is almost as hard to break as a spool! I've met a lot of people that have broken LockRights, but never a Detroit. Someone is pretty rough on their Jeep.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode