How to place blow-by hose? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 02:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

How to place blow-by hose?

Got another problem with the 4.2l. On my way to work today the valves started to tap very intermittenly. When I got home I was ready to pull the valve cover and check it out put decided to look at a few other things first.
When I got the Jeep in Feb, the blow-by hose kept dumping oil and grime into my air cleaner and plugging the idle tubes on the BBD. When I converted to an open K&N filter, I placed a small filter on the end of the blow-by hose and now it just sticks out of the valve cover with a 6-inch hose and the small filter. Problem with plugging the carb solved. But now...back to the valve ticking. I checked the blow-by hose and was able to squeeze out a strip of goo that looked like whiped oil and water. Checked the dip stick and found a very small trace on it. My thoughts are that now winter has arrived, air moisture is being sucked into the valve covef via the blow-by. Now for the question finally. I know I'm not the only one running an open air filter, so how did anybody else deal with the blow-by. I tried to plug it once and caused an oil water fall effect from the PCV, oil filler cap, plugged blow-by, valve cover... Seems it realy needs the fresh air and a way for the crap fumes to escape. Doing the 4.0 head swap soon and I don't want to gum it up aswell. Thanx . Graeme
88 Sahara, 4.2l, auto trany, crappy milage
ps 183,000kms on the clock and it had been driving realy well lately.

'88 Sahara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 07:34 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: How to place blow-by hose?

ok.. well first.. i would check the pcv valve.. clean and all.. but more than likely.. your rings are bad causing you to get all that oil in that tube.. you said you are doing the head swap.. well.. put new rings and bearings in the block.. while you are at it.. you can check this with a compression test.. get a tester.. screw it into each cylinder.. and disconnect the coil wire.. and turn the engine over.. do each cylinder.. one or more will be low.. normal is 150 psi.. or something like that.. then.. take the low cylinder(s) and squirt alittle bit of oil into it.. then recheck.. if the pressure comes up.. then its your rings...
for a quick fix.. to get you till when you replace them.. take that filter off the line.. and run the line into a milk jug or something.. let the oil drain into there.. when it gets full.. you can just dump it back in.. or dispose of properly.. and dont forget to add fresh oil..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 10:19 AM

Ask Santa really nice for a new engine,cause if it is not the PCV valve it is internally in the engine,along with the valve tapping I would say it is just worn out,There are no adjustments for the valves on a 258.Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but in reality there is not much you can do except rebuild or replace it,Do a search on blow by and you will get alot of Ideas on dealing with it but the only cure is repair.A compression test will NOT tell you much unless it is one cylinder or a hole in the piston.Mine ran great had factory spec. compression WET/DRY in all cylinders but blew oil like a pump.The water is probably just condensation unless you see antifreez in it,

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 10:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Still wanting to hear from anyone else with an open air filter. What did you do with the blow-by hose so that you didn't get water in it from moist air or puddles or ...?
Just for an update - The tapping went away after I cleaned the crud out of the blow-by hose and dryed the water out of the filter. Howeve, last night, it rained - a lot - and was very foggy out. Now the filter is wet again and the tapping has started intermittenlly again. I don't seem to be getting much oil from the blow-by any more though. I love the snow but I can't wait for summer when the Jeep runs great again. It just doesn't like the wet.

'88 Sahara
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 11:15 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Before I put the new 258 in my YJ, I had a lot of blowby also. My solution was this:

get a 90 degree elbow that fits the valve cover rear grommet.
run a big diameter (that fits the 90 degree elbow) hose over to the driver's side fender/firewall area.
get a "T" and run it with the 2 outlets vertical, and the one outlet horizontal - like a sideways "T".
Connect the one outlet to the hose from the motor
connect the bottom outlet to a quart-size oil container that is empty
connect the top outlet to a quality breather.

Now, with this system, you will breathe in, and any oil pushed out of the motor will be collected in the quart oil jug. Just empty the jug when it gets full.

Just be sure the hose from the motor runs downhill to the oil jug/breather.

This system works great, and costs maybe $5-10 for the hose and the 2 fittings.
I ran my YJ up to 197,000-some-odd miles before the new motor.

Good luck
Pete [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...gyver/jeep.htm
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 01:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

ok.. even on my open air filter.. there was still a hole on the bottom side of it.. to hook that hose up too.. since that is where its supposed to go.. and it was some el cheapo assembly..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 07:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Uh ohh! Found the cause of the water. Looks like the head might be cracked. The good news is that the water is staying in the top half of the motor and the Blow-by is actually helping by also blowing out the water. I had wanted an excuse to do the 4.0 head swap and it looks like I got it. Now if only I had the cash saved already. My only fear now is that I might still have to change the rings, unless the damaged head could have caused the blow-by. I like the idea of a rebuild (184,000km I think its time) but Santa already came and went. Looks like I'm selling my first born.

'88 Sahara
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 07:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Uh ohh! Found the cause of the water. Looks like the head might be cracked. The good news is that the water is staying in the top half of the motor and the Blow-by is actually helping by also blowing out the water. I had wanted an excuse to do the 4.0 head swap and it looks like I got it. Now if only I had the cash saved already. My only fear now is that I might still have to change the rings, unless the damaged head could have caused the blow-by. I like the idea of a rebuild (184,000km I think its time) but Santa already came and went. Looks like I'm selling my first born. This even explains my vac problems.

'88 Sahara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode