ShortWBase voltage solution for EVERYBODY! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 06:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ShortWBase voltage solution for EVERYBODY!

For LEVE, CJDave, TeamRush, to name a few, and the rest of the members and contributors on this board: I've not completed the project entirely but will within the next few days but the bulk of it is done and here are four pics to give you all an idea of the bombproof dual battery system the board put together. By and large I followed the design as envisioned by the aforementioned ones and others whose names I've forgetten. Many thanks to all contributors. The concept and design are by others and the errors are by me.

sln

ps
i've never done this before - attaching, to a post that is.

sln

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 06:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: ShortWBase voltage solution for EVERYBODY!

Yeah well I blew this. Here goes with the first of four.

sln

somebody tell me how to do this better, please!

sln

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-288978-wirweb001.jpg (61.1 KB, 14 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 06:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok - I think it worked. The first pic is overhead view of the SWB BBS dual battery control with a couple of other additions. a) The solenoid that connects the two batteries is accompanied by an identical solenoid that disconnects the winch from the rest of the Jeep. Warn advises it and it is standard procedure on the better commercial equipment. I can be a life safety thing. b) I relocated the ignition coil from the side of the block just behind the alternator to up in the air because nothing else I tried worked. It has now eaten 23 coils in 28 months. Maybe this will change things.

I combined everything into two bus bars on the positive side and one on the negative side. The rest of the wiring schematic follows the BBS design. If someone could repost that or email me direct if you can do a bit of CAD (Where are you, Araon?) and I'll be glad to do what I can so that everybody can follow.

Enough for now. Here is another pic.

sln

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-288987-wirweb008.jpg (49.8 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 06:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I decided to go ahead an post these even though the project is quite finished. LEVE is resonding VERY well to a problem with voltage fluctuations and explained that one of the problems is inadequate grounds. The previous attachment shows my solution.
Right frame rail just below the battery box. Brass bar. Stainless fasteners. Welding cable to ALL pertinent points. One to go and one spare.

sln

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-288995-wirweb002.jpg (44.4 KB, 9 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 06:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That previous post was the motorside view of the dual positive bus bars. The first solenoid connects these two together. You can see this if you follow the cables. The bars are encased in HDPE block that I cut on the saw and used the drill press and router on. Cheap and works like a champ.

All terminals are solid copper. Tinned. Silver solder. Waterproof shrink tube.
Three sizes of welding cable. If a schematic gets done (volunteers, please), then I will show the where of the sizes: #'s 1, 2 & 4.

sln

This last pic is of the outside view, obviously. It shows the two solenoids; one for the winch, one for the dual bus bars; the coil mount; and another inovation that I added to the BBS schematic: a circuit breaker for the alternator. The unit is a resettable 150 Amp gizmo and the rationale is that the future holds a 140 amp alternator in the works. The factory used two 50 amp fuses in parallel to protect a 90 amp alternator, so I went them one better.

Enough for now. I have to go Christmas shopping. My Jeepchick is waiting patiently. And I do want to keep her happy!

Merry Christmas to all!!!!

sln

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-289001-wirweb005.jpg (55.6 KB, 7 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 07:07 PM
Way Outta Control

I am IMPRESSED. I bow in the presence of genius and great workmanship!

Happy Holidays and Safe Jeepin'

Larry
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 11:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Looks great. Will there be some step by step instructions to follow in the future?

Looks spendy also .... How much do you have into the setup if you dont mind telling.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 11:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i must missed the original discussion of this........

but..dang...that lloks really nice......much cleaner then the nest of greasey wire currently residing under my hood....

anyone care to post a link to the original discussion of this...i searched to no availe

thanks

Jeep'n Greg
http://members.tripod.com/illinois_OR/index.html
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 11:15 PM

wow!!! Someone needs toget this on their web page under a tech article. This is by far the best setup i have ever seen.

78 cj7 for sale (insert tears here).
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 07:14 AM

I offered this arrangement with diagrams and alternator recommendations to ORC when we first talked about it a year ago, and I still haven't gotten a reply...
------------------------------

This is a great set up!

Your dying coil problem is a bad engine ground, 9 chances out of 10...
This should solve it.

Usually, an good, direct engine ground, using star washers in the connections will solve the coil roasting problem once and for all.

The only thing I would have done differently was to use brass bolts in your terminal strips.
With dissimilar metals, and current, you are going to have corrosion in the joints, no matter what.

Love that Teflon idea to isolate that positive buss bar!! You just solved a problem I was working on!

You should consider building a jig, and selling that battery tie down tray and solenoid mounting arrangement.
If you decide to, let me know, and I'll help with suppliers.
Maybe add another product....?....

Great execution of the details!! The devil is always in the details, and you left no area untouched!!
Good cable, great connections, and great design!!!
If you are ever in the southern Indiana area, I may have you stop in and show me a thing or two!!

CJ Dave and I are both going to get wet over that ground buss!
You can never preach enough about grounding everything that has power!
Use some star washers between the connections, and you have saved yourself a TON of electrical problems!!

As far as your alternator goes, Leece-Neville makes one for school busses and big trucks.
Isolated ground, so you actually have a ground connection on the back of the alternator (you can use it on positive ground vehicles too), and it throws between 130 and 160 CONTINUOUS duty output amps. (not just peak amps, like most smaller alts are rated)
The regulator is good enough that they put it on computer controlled vehicles, and it doesn't amp or volt spike too much...

I've seen them in the wholesale catalogs for under $100 outright, with no core charge, but over the counter they normally want about $300...
Let me know if you are interested, and I'll send pictures and particulars...

Again, GREAT job!!
Let me know exactly what you want me to do, and I'll try and help, but my time is very limited right now...
If it's a get to it when I get to it project, I'll do what ever I can.
[email protected]
Send it to me on email, and I'm more likely to get it....

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode