Here's the deal, I need to rebuild my 258 (skirt broke of a piston)so I call my local machine shop to get an idea on the prices. To bore, deck, turn the crank, and balence I am looking at around $450 -$500, plus another $450 or so for new pistons rings etc. While talking to this guy he metions that he has a 232 rebored and set up with new pistons and he'll let me have it for $300, but he's not for sure if it will mount up to my 258 motor mounts. If it will (after we compare them) these are the questions that I have:
1. can I use the head of my 258 ?
2. will my HEI dist work on this engine?
3. will the alt bracket line up?
4. are the intake and exhaust manifolds the same and will they work on the 232?
5. will my oil pan off the 258 fit?
Sorry this is kinda long but this just sounds too good to be true. I know I'll loose a little HP, but the money I save can go towards more upgrades. Thanks in advance.
Buck for bucks saved ... this sounds like a good deal ....
The answer is 'Yes' to all your questions with two exceptions ....
Some years of these two engines had different head bolt sizes - 1/2" vs 7/16".
This can be gotten around by ...
1. If the block has 1/2" threads and the head has 7/16" holes ... drill them out on a drill press.
2. If the block has 7/16" threads and the head has 1/2" holes ... either center the head with a few bolts half way in or get the pair of custom centering washers from Clifford. The head won't move once it's down.
The other important thing to watch for is that some of the early 232's have a 14.5 wide bellhousing pattern (ala DJ) versis the later 15.5" wide pattern - measured from the alignment pins on both sides of the block.
Oil pans may be different too. My friend tore apart his 258 and dropped in a 232 for his swamp buggy. He couldn't use the 258's oil pan on the 232. they look slightly different. I looked at the oil-pan on my DJs 232 and it looks the same as his 232's.... Other than the little things, they are the same engine block. I put a 1980 Electronic Ignition from a 258 on my 232 and used the TFI ignition parts- works great! You can even put a 4.0L head on a 232 if you like EFI that much...