Borgerson vs. FlamingRiver - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 02:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Borgerson vs. FlamingRiver

oki, I know they are both excellent steering shafts, but what are the differences between them. Is it just a different name, but same quality? I have a YJ and need to get a replacement. Which one would u go with!?
ThanX!

"Those damned replicants. Have u retired any today?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 03:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Borgerson vs. FlamingRiver

i can only say i am extremely pleased with the flamiong river shaft... but have also heard good things about the borgeson.. i believe either would be a good choice

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried..watch for improvements soon[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 04:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I like the shaft from Flaming River........but the customer service is VERY POOR!

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
http://www.austinjeeper.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 06:13 PM

I bought the top o the line borgerson , cause it had a anti vibration rubber thingy in the middle of the shaft. No one else had it . No road shock so i guess it works. other than that I think they are pretty much the same.

91 wrangler 4.0 SOA,All borla,jet chip,rancho 9000s in cab random tech, M.O.R.E. steering kit, K&N, accel coil,sloted drilled rotors,four wheel disc, add a leaf,wrangler dual bat in cab optimas,
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 06:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This is one part why I can't understand why you would pay all that money for an "upgrade". Both are considerably more expensive than stock, what on earth are the advantages (other than a more than 2" body lift and needing a longer one)? Road shock, maybe I'm being obtuse, but it has never been somehting so noticeable as to be an annoyance.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 06:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just bought the Borgeson one, the difference in price for the one with the vibration dampner was like $20, and the borgeson name has been around forever with street rodders, and is known for quality. I was told once that next to brakes, steering is the most important feature on the vehicle. This combined with an AGR pump and 35" tires, a stock replacement was not the answer. That's why I got the Borgeson one.

1988 Jeep Wrangler, TBI Chevy V-8, 700R4, dana 44's, 4.56's, ARB's, 35x14.50 SSR's, Beadlocks, full cage, springover, hard and soft tops
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 07:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, but what exactly does the $200+ shaft DO better than a stocker? It is a steering shaft, there is not a heck of a lot to it. The reason rodders use them is that they need custom shafts built due to very non stock lengths, plus most street rods spend BIG bucks on looks. I'm not trying to be a pain in the neck, this just has always seemed to me to be a way to spend money for no reason.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 08:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

brad.. i couldn't agree more..
i don't have the shaft in my jeep, it's in my ford and it replaces the really poor ford steering shaft that was all worn out and impossible to find.
by now you should know that if the part is top be had in a junkyard, I'll use it, but that was not the case this time... that shaft sure is nice though... and it has a slip yoke in it...noplay in the steering either..

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried..watch for improvements soon[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 09:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Almost every part on my Jeep was scrounged from a junkyard or built by me, so I know how that goes. What the Borgeson shaft does that the stock one does not do is appear beefy...holding them side by side the Borgeson one is much stronger, it is thicker, heavier, and the u-joints use bearings, rather than a tin cap that the joint pivots on. My stock one was shot, I replaced it out of necessity. When I was doing my engine swap I bumpedit and noticed a lot of slop in the factory one, which necessitated replacement. Unlike street rodders, I didn't replace it for looks, in fact i didn't even paint it when I put it in, so it'll become rusty some day soon. Point in fact it is way stronger than the factory one, and should thus last longer, especially running oversize tires and lockers.

1988 Jeep Wrangler, TBI Chevy V-8, 700R4, dana 44's, 4.56's, ARB's, 35x14.50 SSR's, Beadlocks, full cage, springover, hard and soft tops
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 10:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well mine was had as a B-day present![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and no way was I telling the person who got it for me that it was WAY over priced, or that they could have picked me one up from the bone-yard![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] The one thing I did like was the replacing of the rag-joint on the OEM shaft. Now if my money were being spent I would have just purchased the ends from Flaming River. (They can be purchased seperatly) and built my own shaft!

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
http://www.austinjeeper.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode