Got my CJ7 back from my mechanic and... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 01:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Got my CJ7 back from my mechanic and...

Ok.. He works on race cars and is very reputable. I asked him to adjust the timing for the winter via distributor, do a compression check, get a new filter for the PVC breather atop the valve cover, and fix the grinding in the wheels. My engine has 33K on a rebuilt I6 258 which I take care of like a small child. I got the jeep back the other day and there is a bad knocking in the engine, the vibration is still in the wheels, no filter for the breather, and he changed my brakes without asking me.. he said "he couldn't let me drive home with my current pads which only had about an 1/8th inch left on them. I am so disappointed I can't even tell you guys. This is my only vehicle which as a CJ owner (I'm in love with my truck) ,I was ready to break this guy over my front bumper. Do I have any rights here? He said that he didn't touch the engine and felt horrible about it and wanted to work it out with me. I know he is not going to pay for a new engine or the install for an (AMC 360). Since I am not a mechanic what should I do besides become one? It was running fine before I dropped it off and now I have about 2 weeks before my engine blows up. %&^%^%^%#&^(*&))(*(^*&^%&^$&^%$$%&^%#%@$#@$#!$#@!$ #@&^%$(&%)&^*^)*&^)*(&_(*_(^(&^$&%$#&%$&%$*^%(*&^) *&^)*&^)*^!
Happy holidays all,
jesse

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 01:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Got my CJ7 back from my mechanic and...

Wow, I don't know if you have any recourse or not. None of the things that you requested would cause an engine knock. I don't quite understand why you would need a timing change for winter and the PCV parts are quite easy to change yourself. He should have called you about the brakes. You did ask him to fix the grinding in the wheels though. Bad brakes would cause this and you did say to fix it (at least that's what your post says). It's hard to say how you could prove that he caused any damage.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 01:51 PM

I just went through the same thing. I took my CJ in for a gasket change and rear main seal, and I didn't even make it home before the engine blew! I talked to two different lawyers, and they said it would be too difficult to prove neglegance. I'm in the midst of a 360 swap as we speak.
I don't know what the answer is, short of doing all of the work yourself.
Good luck!

'86 CJ-7, 360, T-176, Dana 44 rear w/Truetrac, Dana 30, 4" Superlift, Slickrock hangers, Currie steering brace, JKS discos, 4:11s, Warn HS9500i on Durango bumpers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 01:58 PM

Feel really bad for you. You've got to find out what the source of the knocking sound is before driving it. It may or may not be fatal. If it's a bad rod bearing it will ruin the crank if you drive on it. First look for simplest things like valvetrain as well. Where is the noise coming from? Top or bottom? Are there any metal particles in the oil (white or silvery)?

If you don't feel comfortable in diagnosing this sound, take it to someone who can. What opinion did the mechanic give you?

Tim

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, Lockright, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, AMC 20 1pc axles, GM dual diaphragm brake booster
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 02:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You need to check with the state of Conn. about consumers rights, most states have addressed the issue of mecanics ripping people off. And since your talking about what sounds like big bucks the guy you went to isn't going to give you any info so if you can't find out anything from your state if I were you I'd contact a laywer.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 03:10 PM
Can't Get Enough

I am kinda with Snowtow on this, you were fairly vague with either the info to mechanic or with us, you actually may be as much to fault as the mechanic. Sorry guy, but I don't condone blaming someone for my mistakes or miscommunication. Plus, you need to know what your current problems are. They may have nothing to do with what the mech. was asked to do.

Just my opinion.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky & Big Game
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 04:08 PM

I have been in your shoes, I know how you feel. The best advice I can offer is: Learn to work on your own vehicle. Not mechanical, who cares, just remember all the mechanic that will screw you in life. At least learn to act like a mechanic so they will not take advantage of you.

<font color=red> brownbagg </font color=red>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 04:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

is it spark nokkin? id go buy a timing gun (there not that expensive) adn try adjusting the timing your self to try to get rid of it, and check everthing thourly, mnaybe he bumped a spakplug cap came loose and thats making it misfire, yea never know

1970 Jeepster Commando Halfcab, SOA, 33s,
and the buick 231, and SM420. haven't drove it yet but the granny lows gonna rule! runs like a top to boot!
http://jeepster.alloffroad.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 05:42 PM

jesse-
Im in the same boat as you. I had a machinic change a water pump on my 304. He noticed that the oil pump cover was warped too and he said he fixed that. The problem is he didn't know you have to be careful with the oil pump cover on 304 because they are aluminium and they warp easy. Three weeks later i got a knocking and my enginge blew up in about 30 seconds. The oil pump froze and bang! I had to sell my jeep and get a $800 honda, bummer. Next week i am going to get a job at a shop so i can learn how to work on my next jeep. I guess all i can say is be careful and if you can learn how to do it yourself. Good luck.- Tim

78 cj7 for sale (insert tears here).
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 07:12 PM
Way Outta Control

Rough lessons Guys! I've said it before and I'll say it again:

"Your You're Own Best Mechanic."

That's the only way you'll ever free yourselves from shoddy workmaship of guys who aren't as smart as you! Do your self a favor and do your own work from now on out.

Happy Holidays and Safe Jeepin'

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode