Popping sound followed by no clutch pedal? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Popping sound followed by no clutch pedal?

Ok, bumper to bumper traffic in 16 F weather. I was shifting from 1st - 2nd and heard a pop followed bythe clutch pedal going totally limp. My dad said it is probably the clutch assembly since I was able to drive it home clutchless. Any thoughts or confimations on my dad's opinion? I can get the assembly on tues. if that's all it is, I sure hope so because I do not want to replace the whole clutch when it's this cold out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 12:43 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Popping sound followed by no clutch pedal?

I remember that happening to me. I was driving home one day when I went to downshift and BAM, the clutch pedal went straight to the floor with no drop in speed! I was stuck in second and had to kill the engine to stop. Once stopped, I put it in 1st and started it up...thank god for LOW gears. Then I pretended that I was a tractor and drove the last three blocks home at 3500 RPMs going ~15mph! As it turned out, I had broken the body side clutch shaft support. The support is attached to the firewall and holds up the linkage from the pedal to the the clutch. I bought a new one and had it reinstalled in about one hour. Simple. I would check this first, just look under the Jeep where the firewall meets the floor under the Jeep.

Good luck,

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 12:44 AM
Keyboard Implanted

that would make sense for it to be the clutch linkage......

how did you get home?? just shift w/o clutch? you could broken the pushrod part of the clutch linkage...im not sure of the tech. term for it though

take a look on the left right side of engine compartment see if the clutch linkage is broken...if you dont see anything go underneath and check where the linkage goes to bellhousing

Jeep'n Greg
http://members.tripod.com/illinois_OR/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 01:23 AM
Old Hand

Something just like that happened to me when I first got my Wrangler when I was in a precarious spot. The push rod on the master cylinder broke at the linkage. I just had to buy a master cylinder and it was really easy to fix. I got the master cylinder at a salvage yard for about $25.

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 02:05 AM
Nickmil

The other posters are in the ballpark when they say clutch linkage. Normally the clutch itself will give warning signs when it's going out such as slipping, strange noises, high pedal, etc. If you have hydraulic clutch look at the master cylinder and see if it has fluid,if not check for leaks and a blown out seal. If mechanical check for broken pivots, common on cj's with high miles. Also check bellcrank pivot. As it gets wear along with the bellcrank they can separate and you can lose all pedal. You can shift without a clutch as long as engine rpm equals the gear speed of the gear you are trying to shift into i.e. the lower the gear the higher the engine rpm. Nickmil.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 06:48 AM
Matt M38A1

If you don't have linkage issues, and you have a hydraulic clutch then I'm with Nick. I lost a slave cylinder in my old Cherokee and that's what it did. Same when the master went three months later!!!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 07:10 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I have snapped many a clutch line, eventually learned how to single flare using a screwdriver. Now I just picked up a doube-flare kit. I drove mine many miles with no clutch, and no second gear at first, then when second came back, with no third. The real PITA was driving it when I snapped the shifter off at the base (inside the top cover), got pretty good at shifting with 2 hands using a screwdriver and vise-grips.

Doesn't sound like a huge problem. Having an '84, I'm guessing mechanical linkage? I'll bet it just popped out of whack and is simple to fix. I drove mine a lot without the clutch (usually back from the trail to my house). To start out, just shut it off, put it in first, and crank the starter. When you come up to RPM's, shift like normal, but be gentile, if it doesn't want to shift, don't force it. The RPM's should be just right for it to slide into gear. I know people that hardly ever use the clutch in a car, once you get the "ear" for it, it's easy, just hard on the tranny until then. To stop, just slide it into neutral and come to a stop normally. Shut it off, and start out again.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input it was the linkage that broke. Going to get new stuff on tues. from turner 4wd.

Thanks,
Tim

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 09:05 AM
Addict

sounds familiar, I had the linkage fall completely out somewhere on the highway one time in my 73 cj-5.

If your kidneys don't hurt, it's not a real Jeep!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 06:38 PM

Glad you found out it was the linkage ,but just for general information mine did the same thing just after I had ordered new linkage,but what stuck on mine was the bearings that the clutch pedal itself mounts on .the shaft was grooved probably from the strong overcenter spring in the CJ,judging by the groove.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode