Lincoln Lockers and stock YJ axles...? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Lincoln Lockers and stock YJ axles...?

Alright, so it looks like I'll have the TF-727 and NP-208 installed soon and put the Wrangler back on the road! I run a stock suspension and 31" tires. Do you think the Dana 35c (non-c-clip, its an '89) would take a welded-locked diff? How about the D-30 front axle? Since the front axle is the vacumm-disconect type, just shifting into 2WD would be the equivalent of unlocking a hub. Its got the stock 3.07 gears so thats as big as the pinion gets on these things. It would see probably weekly off-road duties, and maybe even a drive on-road to the site (50 miles one-way tops). I do mostly sand and mud with a little palmetto bush stump-jumping and the occasional hill-climb. I have a set of G-Waggon D-44 axles that I'll be installing my 4.10 gears and lockers into, so these only have to last about 3 months or so...

Which do you think would break first, axle-shaft or pinion (provided the driveshaft hangs in there!)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 10:42 PM

Re: Lincoln Lockers and stock YJ axles...?

Since your not running monster meats on the rig, everything should hold up for a while. Steering may be a bit tough when sitting still on hard surfaces, but again your not running huge tires so it should tollerable. The rear yoke with the high geras would deffinitely be a concerne if you were pushing 35x12.50, but again your choice of tires should be relatively easy on the drive train. I would do it if it meant getting out and wheelin while I was waiting to finish up my swap axles.

Jeff
89 YJ
If at 1st you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 10:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

being that you are getting ready to do an axle swap i say go for it. i wouldn't recomend it otherwise. one thing to think about though is if you leave them alone you might be able to get some $$$ for them when you install your new axles.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 09:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Good luck getting anything for the D35. I've been trying to sell mine for a while! But I'd go for the lincoln locker. Let us know how it works out. I'm wanting to spool my ford 8.8 (when I get it-if I ever sell the D35). Just run a lot of air pressure on road and that will help cornerning with the welded diff's.

John
89YJ-350V8,35" swampers,etc.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 10:04 AM

Yeah, you really wont get much for those D35. I sold mine, it was a non C clip, with SOA perches, 4.56 gears, detroit, an extra set of axles, 2 extra yokes, fresh bearings and brakes, and I got $400 for it, sheeeesh.

Jeff
89 YJ
If at 1st you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 01:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mine is the non c style too, I've been asking $250
Is that too much? I just spend many $$$ putting in 4.11gears, posi, bearings, seals! I don't want to give it away! What will a junkyard give you for trade in?

FOR SALE: D35, 4.11, posi.
John-89YJ-350V8,35" swampers,EFI,revolvers,shackle reversal, swaybar/tracbar disconnects,SYE,cv shaft,4.11,locked frontD30,rocklock,need ford 8.8 soon,2"body, TJ flares.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, looks like its a go then! I'll let you know how it turns out. I should get it back on the road by mid-January (have to wait until Jan 15 for my next paycheck...) Finally, I wont be spinning just two damn tires everywhere!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode