Resister in Centech harness? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Resister in Centech harness?

My body swap is winding down, and I need to complete the wire harness install. I have a concern with the resistor that comes with my new harness. The original didn't have a resistor. And reading the instructions, it just seems like an add-on. The ceramic "insulator" seems fragile. Can I just remove the resistor and wire the wires together? There is nothing special about my Jeep as far as the Jeep knows, it's all factory.
I have no idea what the purpose of the resistor is. And I've always been a little electrically challenged. Any advice on what to do? Is it as fragile as it seems? Can I eliminate it?

Any help? Opinions welcome......

DREW
IN2DEEP <font color=red>78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 09:17 PM
cj7jeep

Re: Resister in Centech harness?

I believe you are talking about the ballast resister. I am sure someone will give a more accurate reply than this. You do not want to bypass this with your stock ignition. I believe it drops the volts to around 9, instead of 12, so while cranking the motor you don't put to much juice through the coil and burn it or something else up. This info is not exact, but in the ball park. If you have a Chevy HEI ingnition or similar, i think you remove the ballast and let the full 12 volts run on through. Someone will correct my mistakes.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Just pushing it to the top..... looking for more responses....

DREW
IN2DEEP <font color=red>78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 09:46 PM
cj7jeep

IN2DEEP i really thought you would get more replies. You can call Centech, they gave me really good tech support when i replaced mine.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 07:55 AM

OK, Here is the Rub, Bub....
You DO need a resistor on your new harness for the '78 ignition.
The only exception is if you are using a MSD module INSTEAD of the factory module.
(If you are using the factory module, AND the MSD module, (smog set up) you still need the resistor.)

Ceramic 'Ballist' resistors (a misnomer, ballist suggests that is is there to balance someting, and it is not.
In this case, it works more like a restriction to slow things down a bit....)
Ceramic resistors are notorous for letting moisture into the resistor materal, and going bad, but they are cheap to replace, and easy to install.

I recommend SPLICING into (Not cutting the wire) the coil power wire and adding a Ford style Resistor Wire.
You will need a full 12 Volts from the ignition to run the stock DuraSpark Module, and you will need the resistor wire to power the coil, and this sloution gives you both.
The orignal wire powers the module with a full 12 volts from the key switch, and the coil gets the proper resistance via the resistor wire.

This is the way your stock wiring harness was set up, and it's the best way to do your new harness.
Very reliable, cost around $10 for the resistor wire. AutoZone part #

THE MODULE ALWAYS GETS A FULL 12 VOLTS.
Don't let anyone tell you it gets resisted power, or you will be changing a lot of modules....

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

OK TR, thanks for your imput. But just to double check. I realize you don't know exactly how my new harness is wired. But it seems like you are telling me to replace the Centech ballist resistor with the Autozone/Ford resistor wire. This seems to make sense to me.... I need to double check how my new harness is wired, but this seems logical to me.

Thanks again.

DREW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode