which auto trans is better - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 03:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

which auto trans is better

Hey hows everyone doing today? heres my ? I have a 84cj7 with a mildly built 304, right now it has a TF904 behind it with a dana300 and 35"s. I have been told that this trans probably will not hold up. My ? is would it be cheaper to rebuild this trans with stronger parts or just switch trans. all togeather? If i switch what is a good trans that will bolt up to my 304. I have been told a TF999 is a good one any comments on that? And where would i get one? Thanks

84CJ7/304/AUTO.904/DANA300/35'S ALLWAYS TIME TO PLAY!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 04:09 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: which auto trans is better

Were the CJ mine. IMHO, I'd put in the TF727 and not the TF999. The aftermarkt support is more aimed at the TF727 rather than the TF999, and it's a stronger transmission. There can be front driveshaft clearance issues, but with your 35" tires I assume you've got at least a 2" lift. This is needed for clearnace with the TF727. It can be found in many 70's AMC products and the prices are reasonable. It's also a very easy transmission to rubuild, service and maintain.

Happy Holidays and Safe Jeepin'

Larry
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 04:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

One thing Leve forgot to mention, the 727 oughta be a bolt in, no mods necessary! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 04:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cool thanks for the input !!

84CJ7/304/AUTO.904/DANA300/35'S ALLWAYS TIME TO PLAY!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 04:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The 727 has my vote! I have one in my 1985 CJ7 and love it, very heavy duty and bolted right up to my Dana 300/ AMC360.

You may have some front driveshaft issues unless you install a 4 " or larger lift kit.

Check out this website for more info: (url)http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/convtrans/conv727.html(url)

'85 CJ-7/360/727/D300 w/Currie Twin Stick and TeraLow 4-1 kit,Dana 44/30 w/4.56 and Detroits,SSR 35's,York AC onboard air and the TR ignition upgrade
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 06:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

the tf 727 you want is in the 80's grand waggoneers.. i have one in my jeep now, and other than havinbg to clock the x-fer case a little odd, it's everything you would expect from a 1 ton tranny. i ran 4.56 gears, 35x16 boggers, detroits front and rear, and a very heavy right foot with 350 hp......no worries about the tranny...even better.. i picked it up complete for $250...didn't rebuild it, and it works perfect..

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried..watch for improvements soon[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 09:36 PM

I was debating which automatic transmission to put in my Jeep a while ago. I was set on using a TH-400 untill I heard the TF-727 was a little stronger, just as simple to rebuild, shorter, and would bolt up to the D-300 and all the New Process transfer-cases. Guess whats sitting in my driveway waiting for a shift-kit? I paid $450 for it, and it had a fresh HD rebuild on it that hasn't even been used yet [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 10:02 PM
nxcj

727 came behind the 426 Hemi....nuff said

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 09:33 AM
Enthusiast

Great thread guys. QUESTION? Would the TF727 bolt up to a 4.0 or 4.2 motor without modification? Also, if either one of these motors had fuel injection, would that make a difference in using this tranny behind the six cylinder and and in front of a DANA 300? I have a stock 85 CJ8, so Larry, if I understand you respnse, I would to raise my CJ 2" via "springs" (for example)so I would not have any front drive shaft clearance problems? TIA - DuaneD

85 CJ8 Undergoing Frame-up Modifications w/258/T176/Dana300-Looking 4 a 95-96 4.0L Motor, SS gas tank, & chrome spoke wheels.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 10:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It should bolt right up to a 258(4.2L), it uses the same bolt pattern as a AMC V8. The 4.0 FI engine is a Chrysler designed engine, it has a fancy sensor that gets in the way when bolting an AMC bellhousing to it. You could machine away enough of the belhousing to make it work, but I couldn't tell you how much or where to take the metal off from.

The Jeep TF727 should have the NP style x-fer bolt pattern, so yes your D300 should fit nicely. That is if the output and input shafts matchup corectly. Look it up in the Advance Adaptors manual. By the way, many of the the AA manuals are now offered free (including the Atlas manual, but not the NV4500, at least yet) in Adobe Acrobat format(*.pdf). Check out their website for more details. Adobe Acrobat is free to down load as well.
http://www.advanceadapters.com/
(thanks to Sycho 15 for the help in html, and I am still learing)

I think what they were saying is that the minium clearance requried for the TF727 clearance issues is a 2" spring lift. But might not make it one every vehicle. A better fit would be 4", then you should have no problems.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, 4.5" RE lift, Tera Revolvers, etc. etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode