CJ 7 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

CJ 7

I just came across a 78 cj7 with 304 auto/Qtrac. Anyone know what the axle ratio should be stock? Is the Qtrac tcase any good? If not, how hard is it to change out?

Thanks
Keith

C-Ya.....................kh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 03:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: CJ 7

Only one problem with changing out the Q-trac, you will note the offset rear diff, need to change that too. IMO Q-trac was a big mistake by Jeep.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 03:30 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Unknown on the axle, check out http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/axle/amc20.html for finding it. Man, that's the TH400, decent tranny!

CJDave likes the QTrac, never owned one myself, sorry.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 10:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I have some good news and some bad news: first the bad news...you will have a difficult time swapping the transfer case because the rear axle is; as was pointed out; offset radically to the right. Also the Jeep TH400 tranny only hooks to a QT. Also the QT AS BUILT is not very good operationally. THE GOOD NEWS is that the QT is a very efficient transfer case....very few moving parts. The QT comes with low range as an option and that is a small lever by the driver's right heel. IF YOU MAKE A MOD TO THE QT, it will perform superbly in snow, and will handle most other jobs OK. What you will want to do is disable the cone clutches. That will free up the center differential for a more bind-free drivetrain, AND make it easier to go into LOCKUP FWD when the going gets tough and you need to get serious. PLUS, you can crap-can the special fluid that costs a fortune and just use ATF. PLUS your chain will last a LOT longer. So if you want to do a little modifacation, the QT will be fine. As manufactured, they have a few drawbacks.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 12:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

3.54 should be the gear ratio. I love my QT. I modified it to part time four wheel drive. I got the doug nash kit for it. It does great in all conditons. Summer driving is better on gas and winter is a breeze with it locked in four wheel drive.

The baddest four letter word JEEP
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 11:01 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If you wanted to make a serious Jeep out of that, you could go to the general FOR SALE board where there are lots of TH400/NP205 combos for sale, and buy one of those. Then use the tailend off the TH400 to hook yours to the NP205, and the front drive would be on the correct side, leaving only the rear axle to be swapped out to a center-piggy unit. That would give you a good combo for just about anything.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 11:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJDave as I recall you mentiond at one time you converted your jeep to QT because of the snow where you are moving, this started to make me onder why this QT set up is better in the snow than the normal 4 wheel drive set up?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2000, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

CJDave, can I do the same tail shaft swap with a TH400/model 20 I have? It's the AMC bolt pattern. Also can that model20 be converted to a model 18?

Thanks
Keith

C-Ya.....................kh
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2000, 11:48 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] (A) Probably); (B) Don't know. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode