ATTN: Jeep"N" & any NP205 users. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

ATTN: Jeep\"N\" & any NP205 users.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] We will soon be "knockin' our FS GM 4X4 in the head" to rebuild the boxes, and I did want to twin-stick the NP205 Transfer Case before we put everything back up. Is this a "Kit" thing that we just order, or is it a machine-it-yourself proposition? I've never actually seen a 205 just laying out, so I'm wondering if I need to pre-order stuff for the twin stick conversion or just make it as we go. I have to tell you that if it was your first day as a mechanic that you would have no problem figuring out if the SM465 needed "freshening up".....there is not a synchro left in any gear, and the input bearing is really talking to me.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Time for new brgs, seals, synchros and thrust washers.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 02:05 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: ATTN: Jeep\"N\" & any NP205 users.

No, the twin stick is just a "do it yourself" type thing. Making mine was easy, but you will need another stick. I have mine exposed now, and can make the twin stick linkage easily if you'd like me to. I can't help with the extra shifter though. I may have an outlet for the shifter/adapter bolt though, a longer one is needed for the conversion. I am assuming your SM465/NP205 setup looks like mine, if I remember right yours is a newer one with a slip-yoke on the rear of the transfer. Is the adapter between the tranny and transfer about 11" long? If so, I can make you the linkage, and probably get the shifter bolt, so all you'd need is the extra shifter and to put it all in place. I snagged a boot setup from an '89 Toyota truck (tranny and transfer) as the throw on both shifters is pretty long.

Never rebuilt the SM465, so I can't help, sorry. Man, that puppy's heavy though, be careful you don't drop it on something important.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] So do I have this right.....no modifacation to shift rails and detents is needed? Yes...if there is a special bolt required, I would really appreciate your help on that.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] I'll measure the adapter and see if it is the same as yours. Yes, we do have a slip yolk.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] We are also looking into re-doing the driveline with a center hanger addition and bigger spiders.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I have a message in for TEX to see if he knows where we can find a bigger yolk for the rear axle. The existing spider is terribly small.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I havent found a cool shift lever yet for the second throw but I'm looking. Yes, we would definitely like to have some linkage if you have the time to fab it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]Those SM465's are no sweat compared to the boxes I'm used to dropping. They are actually fairly well balanced by themselves...no t-case. Our clutch is trashed so that will be done too. It had an adjustment problem and it is pretty well wiped out, both the clutch disc and the throwout fingers. These pickups need special attention if the clutches are to survive. I've had...let's see...FOUR of these GMs with that clutch and tranny, plus a 2 ton with a rare five speed box that had the small spline input.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Thanks for the info. I'll get that measurement and you can see if your Mainer engineering can attack this mod for us.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 03:28 PM
I Do This For The Glory

No, I didn't have to modify the shift rails at all, and mine hadn't been tampered with. Just to make sure, because I read the article in the magazine as well, run it through the gears to make sure. I have all the gears I should and never had to touch a thing. I can't go into front low, rear high or any funky combinations like that. However, I have to shift the levers 3 times to get from high range to low range (Front from high to neutral, rear from high to low, front to low), but there's no possibility of mixing things up and causing shrapnel.

How soon do you need the parts?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Probably by the middle of February? Will that give you enough time?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] It looks as if this box has one lever for each output judging from your description. This is a little different than the army truck transfer cases we used to use all the time where one stick was just to engage front drive and the other was under-N-over. They would shift on the fly and you could use them together with the five-speed to get an "Oaklahoma Seven Speed" by going one thru five in low range then shift to high range and go four and five again. Does your 205 shift on the go or not? Like can you go from 2 Lo to 2 Hi on the fly?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 06:36 PM
cj7jeep

Hey maybe i can help out a little. I have a pic of JEEPN's NP205. I save all the info i can of his.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-288252-np205twinstick.jpg (63.2 KB, 0 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 09:54 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Well, define "on the fly". If you mean at 5 mph, yes, if you mean 20 mph, no. As you probably guessed already, the shifters are setup

L.........L
+.........+
N.........N
+.........+
H.........H

Rear....Front

I'll have everything done, no problem, ready to bolt in. I'll set it up for a second shifter just like the first though, if that's OK.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Yeah, that would be perfect....one less thing for us to worry about in the midst of doing all the rest of the work. I have a big outa-town job in early March and I would like to have the pickup back together before I have to leave for two weeks on that job.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Meanwhile I'll hunt up a suitable shift lever.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] This is super, Jeep"N", we appreciate the help tremendously.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Thanks, cj7jeep.....I downloaded that to use as a comparison. I THINK that ours is a later model because the sticks shown in the photo are the same as the early-early-early GM pickups used. I'll check tomorrow and see what ours looks like.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 01:28 AM
cj7jeep

Found one more pic that shows the sticks a little better. Good luck.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-288532-twinstick2.jpg (55.9 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode