How To Get My Tranny and York Into The YJ???? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 11:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

How To Get My Tranny and York Into The YJ????

Hey Guys,

Last one, i promise.

I am looking to get my T-18 mated to the 2.5L of my 89 YJ. Anyone know how to do this? AA said they dont have a BH for it. Any ideas? Anyone have this setup??

Also, Anyone know how to mount a York on the 2.5L that has no factory provisions for AC?

Thanks

I will be wheeling soon

[b]Boston Mangler
89 YJ With A Bunch Of Goodies
See It At:
http://ct-web.unh.edu/yankeetoys/kspeicher/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 11:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: How To Get My Tranny and York Into The YJ????

Kevin -

I have a friend with a 2.5L wrangler that installed a SM420. If I recall correctly, he had to essentially make a BH using his stock YJ bell housing and the SM420 housing. He had the Clutch area from the 420 housing put into the YJ housing, a custom clutch disc from Center Force, and some other stuff I don't remember. Bottom line, I think you are head into a custom (very) project to get the T18 mated to the 2.5L. Somewhere, I think on Parts Mike bbs, there was a post stating that the 2.5 shared bolt patterns with 2.8 and 3.4 GM V6s. Maybe one of them could be a donor BH with a little machine work. Just a thought.

BTW: No promises you can't keep. We know there be more ???[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
http://www.tidesys.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 12:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks jim

i think i am going to drive what i have for awhile and see if it explodes or what not. If so, take it from there

thanks

[b]Boston Mangler
89 YJ With A Bunch Of Goodies
See It At:
http://ct-web.unh.edu/yankeetoys/kspeicher/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 12:51 PM

That is one of the problems with the 2.5, there are hardly any adapters for it. When I swapped in the 2.5 for my trashed 4.0 I had to lose the NP 435 due to all the fuss it would have been to adapt it.
You wont have any problems with the stock stuff though with what you are planning on running at the start.

Jeff
89 YJ
If at 1st you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 01:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I would suspect that the best way to integrate that Yorkie is to remove the alternator......install that York where the alternator was.....then mount the alt on the outside bolt pattern that the York has, driving the alt with a second belt from the unused second groove of the York. What's that? You say the York is a single groove? NO PROBLEM....just get a different clutch assembly from the wrecking yard and pop that one off by using a bolt threaded into the center hole. I wish I had a buck for the number of Yorks we have install in just this very manner on equipment from welder engines to well workover rigs engines. We even did this on a '67 MGB roadster [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] for the aftermarket air. Hey! It gits HOT in Fresno CA![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 01:21 PM

Dave,
What type of bracket do you fab to mount the Yorkie to the engine. It seems to work best, it needs to keep the yorkie upright and still have some adjustment for belt tension. The alternator bracket off of the yorkie seems plenty easy. But a simple adjusting bracket for the yorkie just hasnt come to me in any sort of emaculate inspiration,...yet.

Jeff
89 YJ
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 01:28 PM
Old Hand

I used to have a 2.5 in a wrangler, and this is the york bracket I made...very simple. As far as tensioning, I looseded the mounting bolts, slipped the belt over the clutch and as I tightened the mounting bracket down, the belt was tensioned. That worked for about 2 years without any type of problem.

Here is a pic of the york with bracket

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 01:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The York should have one piece which gathers up all the points of support on the engine block, and then THAT piece bolts solid to the block. A second piece which has the York bolt pattern hooks to the York, and THAT piece is hinged off the stationary bracket, either at the top or at the bottom. A stiff arm from the bottom or an alternator type adjustment arm from the top controls the tension. We have even used large all-thread as an overhung bracket from the engine with the big all thread coupler nut welded to the York plate to act as the hinge when the point of support off the engine was a long way back. I always strive to mount the York upright, and most often it works out easier on the overall bracket package.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 06:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeff
I bolted my york solid to the engine, and used a idler
pulley that had a built in adjuster, and bolted it on the other
side of the engine. Very easy and simple like me.
good luck
Mike

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 10:28 AM

That is kinda what I was thinking of doing. What did you run the belt off of on the other side? I only have the Power steering pump on the driver side, I could get a double pulley. I would like to set everything up on the driver side since I have so much more room. All of my electrical relays and such are on the passenger side fender. But with the removal of the stock airbox, relocation of the radiator overflow, and removal of the windshield washer resovoir, there is a ton of room on the driver side now. I think I will probably just wait untill the mustang engine gets swapped in next month at this point, but any ideas still help.
Thanks

Jeff
89 YJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode