Radiator Inlet/Outlet Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 09:27 AM
MarkF

Radiator Inlet/Outlet Question

In my 1986 CJ7 with Chevy 350, the radiator gas both the inlet and outlets on the same side (passanger). I've been trying to order a new radiator and everyone tells me that can't be. The inlet and outlet have to be on opposite (diagonal) ends in order for it to cool properly. Looking through Summit's catalog all of them had the holes on opposite ends with the exception of 1 $400 racing radiator.

What's the deal, is this something really odd? Looking at the the waterpump and current plumbing, there is no way I can have the outlet (bottom) be on the drivers side.

Anyone have any ideas.

Thanks
Mark F

1986 CJ7, Chevy 350, D44/D30, more to come shortly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 11:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Radiator Inlet/Outlet Question

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] This is a typical problem with engine swaps, Mark, and what you usually have to do is work with the bottom outlet which matches the engine, and then change the routing of the top hose if necessary to get diagonal flow. Shive-Lays have the top hose on the left and bottom hose on the right. Our CJ 304 AMC has the opposite arrangement. The Jeeps with the Chev-Lay four-banger have the same setup as the stock Chevy V8 has.....top hose is on the left, bottom hose on the right. Sometimes you can get creative and swap tanks, but usually it is easier to move the outlet. I'm surprised that your Jeep would cool itself unless the radiator had enough junk in the core to retard flow and push it across more or less.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 12:35 PM
MarkF

Yup, it seems that best thing to do is to get another T-stat housing that points to the drivers side.

Thanks
Mark F

1986 CJ7, Chevy 350, D44/D30, more to come shortly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 12:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] When you take that outlet off, be sure to drill a lead pencil lead sized hole in the flat area of the thermostat so the engine will burp air better on fillup and on warmup.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 06:38 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Just a question: Did Chevys always have the same side lower hose? I know on a small block Ford that if you just go with a different year, it's possible to swap the lower hose from one side to the other.....

DREW
IN2DEEP <font color=red>78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode