31" BFG AT's on a Stock YJ?? Will It Work?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 11:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

31\" BFG AT\'s on a Stock YJ?? Will It Work??

Hey Guys,

I have some 31" BFG all terrains i would like to throw on the YJ until i get around to installing the lift. With these fit the rig in stock form without major rubbing?

Thanks

[b]Boston Mangler
89 YJ With A Bunch Of Goodies
See It At:
http://ct-web.unh.edu/yankeetoys/kspeicher/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 01:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 31\" BFG AT\'s on a Stock YJ?? Will It Work??

It will fit, however your going to hit the fender flare in front just driving on the road, and even mild off-roading will slam the tire into the steel fender. How about a 1" body or shackle lift? Either one of these will help with the interference.

'79 CJ5 future rockcrawler.....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 04:23 AM
Old Hand

I only have 235/75-R15s(28") on my stock YJ and w/swaybar unhooked the tires only have 1/2" clearance with the front fender when fully flexed.

Donnie

<font color=red>God</font color=red>,<font color=white>Guns</font color=white>&<font color=blue>Guts</font color=blue>
<font color=red>MADE</font color=red><font color=white>AMERICA</font color=white><font color=blue>GREAT</font color=blue>
<font color=red>I VOTE</font color=red><font color=white> TO KEEP</font color=white><font color=blue> ALL THREE</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 09:07 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Mangler, just throw a shackle lift on it for now, like 1 to 1.5", it'll help the tires clear and won't be noticeable.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 09:47 PM

Click on my signature picture. I run 31x10.5 MTs on my stock suspension and rims. I've removed all the controll arms and had to install longer brake-lines because of the droop I get now (still need longer shocks, but I dont plan on staying in stock form for long!) You dont rub the fenders while on the street, you do rub the flares while off-road, and you will hit the metal fenders if you get seriously twisted up (well, as serious as stock allows) Since you air-down in situations that would get you twisted up, it takes a lot more to make contact than you'd think. I've beaten my Jeep through seriously rutted mudholes, taken it airborn, and crawled through the palmetto bushes around here and my fenders are still hanging on just fine and you can barely tell any contacts been made (at least, tire contact...)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode