Spool---let's hear it!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 05:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Spool---let\'s hear it!!

I'd like to hear from people who actually have a spool or lincoln locker in their rig and do some driving on road. How bad is it? Is it better than a locker? I've heard good and bad. Good-it doesn't pop, bang, send you into the next lane when engaging/disengagin. Bad--tire wear, stress on axles, tire chirps. But dont you get tire wear and some tire chirp from a locker too? I have a locker in front. No problem. I am going to the ford 8.8 rear axle and was thinking of a spool. I do 25% on road and 75% off road. It would be interesting to hear from people who have have tried a locker, a spool, and a posi/limited slip or even an open diff.

John
89YJ-350V8,35" swampers,etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 05:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Spool---let\'s hear it!!

i ran a lincoln locker in my daily driver for 3 years, i only stopped when i switched axles
i currently have a detroit, if it ever goes i will go to a spool. very consistent, no surprizes
just run the upper end of tire preasure on the road

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 05:28 PM

I have a lockright in the rear of 258 powered CJ7, AMC20 rear with 33" BFG M/T's. I run those tires year round. We get a fair bit of ice and snow here in Manitoba on the streets. The locker does slightly steer the vehicle as you get on and off the gas if your tires are not of exactl equal diamter. It depends mostly on the tires I run. Some are worse than others, and I assume the problem is overall circumferance differences. On ice and snowy roads the lockright does sometimes make a clunk or bang when it reingages after a turn. The cold weather may have a role to play in the thick diff fluid. On pavement, you need to press in the clutch to do a coasting u turn, otherwise you get the tires dragging and squeeling. Same for tight parking lot turns. After 3 years I had the alignment pins break on the lockright. This coincided with a spun 2 piece axle. Mere coincidence? Not sure. Was cheap to fix, used 1/4 drill rod and it's held up for a year now since. I know a guy that runs lockrights front and rear in his V8 bronco and loves them. I'd question the toughness of the lockright for V8 power and rough use, but that again is speculation, as they have not worn out in my 6 cylinder application, nor has the stock carrier and drive pin been a problem yet. I had a dirt track car with a minispooled Ford 9" rear and that was great for dirt track (tacky mud). On the pavement it was hard to turn. You couldn't push it around a turn by hand in the parking lot. A know a guy with a welded rear end in his toyota land cruiser and he swears by it. But I also question whether he would fess up to the annoyance it may cause him on the street. I'd recommend the lockright for a similar powered jeep, (annoyances are minor and you can learn to cope with them) but can't comment on the fully locked rear for a street machine.

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, Lockright, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, AMC 20 1pc axles, GM dual diaphragm brake booster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 06:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is a spool available for the 8.8?? I know we had a hard time trying to locate one for a D44 ,before giving up and going to a locker.
Shain

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 08:18 PM

If you're considering it, do it! I have a spool in the 9" under my cj7 and wouldn't trade it for anything. It pushes you around corners a bit, but nothing that you don't get used to real quick. It's predictable. I predict that if you put on in, the jeep will squeal every time you go around a corner. Tires wear a bit more, naturally. Front tires wear more too, as they're working harder when you turn because of the pushing effect. The first couple of times that you take it out in the slippery stuff--snow or rain--you'll be real cautious about spinning out. Once you realize what you've got, the on-road stuff becomes routine. That's the on-road part. Once you hit the dirt, you'll get this really big grin and after a while your face starts hurting. Happens every time, too! Traction is always there. No suprises.

I just checked the Summit http://www.summitracing.comcatalog and they don't show a spool or mini-spool for the 8.8". However, Jegs http://www.jegs.com shows both spools and mini-spools for the 8.8".

Go for it!

Ken

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 10:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

shain, randy's sells a spool for a dana44. it was less than $200

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 07:45 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Brian, is that the full spool or the mini-spool? I've been thinking of full spooling the rear, it's a trail only jeep, and putting the lockright in the Commando.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 08:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

it was a full spool. it was around $180 and it is in a rear dana44 that will be going in a buddy's samurai. give randy's a call.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 03:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Man!!!...Could've used that info. several months ago. Crap! Summit, Jegs, and a few others we tried didn't have 'em. Oh well, I do like my Detroits.
Thanks for the heads up Brian.

Shain

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode