Need help, buying an XJ! O-SWB-T - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Need help, buying an XJ! O-SWB-T

Hi all, I know this is Off Short WheelBase Topic, but still Jeep related. I posted my questions on the XJ/ZJ board and didn't get alot of responses so I figured I'd post it here. thanks!

My need for a new (old) daily driver has brought up some questions. I have pretty much decided on an early '90's XJ 4X4 as a daily driver/kid hauler/snow toy.

What I need to know is...should I be on the look out for anything non desirable, or equiptment I should avoid? I want the fuel injected HO 4.0 liter ('91 or newer), Also, what transmissions should I avoid? I know the Peugot (sp) is one to avoid in YJ's.
How about the automatics? Did Jeep use the torqueflite (tf999 or tf904) in all of the XJ's of that era?
What axles came in them?
And is there a model of transfer case I should avoid? Command-Trac/ Select-trac?
This really isn't going to be an off roader (in the near future anyways ) I'm just looking for reliable transportation in a 4X4.

Sorry for all the questions, but I want my stuff together before I go out looking. Thanks in advance!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, Down to the bare frame...parts everywhere!
2000 Durango SLT

I can't go to work today...the voices said "Stay home and clean your guns!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 02:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Need help, buying an XJ! O-SWB-T

Get a 91 or later with the HO 4.0. If you want a manual tranny get the AX-15. As far as t cases and axles if you want to avoid the vacuum front axle you need a 93-94+. Both the NP231 and the NP242 are good cases. The advantage to the 242 is you can drive in 4x4 all the time. The 242 is usually found in the higher end trim pacages like the Limited or the Laredo. I don't know alot about the autos since both my XJ's are stick but I believe that any XJ in the years you will look at has an AW4. Although it will have some completely unrelated number stamped on the data plate. My dads 92 has the AW4 and so far so god with 100K. Hope this helps.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 02:26 PM

1996 was the first year for having on airbag (on the driver's side only) if you care about this. Here are two links to some good, active XJ forums:

<font color=red>Jeeps Unlimited Forum</font color=red>
http://jeepsunlimited.com/cgi-bin/ju...assCookie=true

<font color=red>NAXJA Webpage and Forum</font color=red>
http://www.naxja.org/index.htm

<font color=red>Chad</font color=red>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 03:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If the truth were known, an XJ is probably one of the most capable all-around SUVs that you can buy. Just in stock form they do pretty well off road, and they have the same engine/tranny as the ZJ Laredo with 745 pounds less weight so the performance and fuel mileage is real good also. When I bought my Grand Cherokee in 11/96, I COULD have bought the XJ just as well. The ONLY thing that made me not buy an XJ was the interior noise level, and since I was going from a Caddy to a Jeep it was quite a factor. I put on 112K in exactly four years so you can see that my Z spends a lot of time on freeways as well.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] We spent three weeks poring over the catalogs and specing out the ZJ and if I were to do it over it would be exactly the same. We were going for fuel mileage so we went with the 4.0 and the highest gears we could get. We even had to install the trailer stuff aftermarket to get the high (3.55) gears. There was never any doubt but we had to have the 242 case for the snow and believe me nobody stays with my Grand in snow if I fill the fuel tank for 50-50 weight distribution. So what you want is 4.0/auto w/overdrive/242 Select-Trac case/3.55 axle ratios. The 96 and later has an improved suspension. Of all the things, the 242 case is the most important if you have to drive in snow. In 112K I have replaced a leaky trany cooler line and (UGH![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]) the RH side rear c-clip axle shaft which had the hard surface which rides in the bearing go bad.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks for all the tech info [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]CJDave[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]! I assume the 242 T-case with the full time 4WD is similar in operation to the Q-trac of your CJ (ie. diff inside the T-case). Is this a more fragile system than the 231 case? Not that it matters THAT much, since this will mostly be a pavement pounder [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] and to get me around in the Minnesota snow [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]. Is there a way to easily tell which T-case a particular XJ has in it? Does the 242 cae system have a vac. disconnect for the front axle like the 231 system has? I had pretty much decided on the Auto since the wife may have to drive it (I tried teaching her to drive stick in my Omni GLH Turbo...it wasn't pretty!) and also, I'm just plain lazy! My CJ even has a Torqueflite in it.

Sorry again for all the questions, but the more I learn...the more questions I have. Thanks again everyone! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Mike H.
2000 Durango SLT

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 12:58 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The chain-driven, differential equipped, 242 case bears no resemblence to the QT in construction, operation, or modes. The 242 has: 2WD....4WD(locked up)...4WD(Open center)...N...4WD Lo range(locked only). That is why it is called SELECT Trac.....for all of the selections. You CAN run in 4WD open in the supermarket parking lot, and everywhere else for that matter. The ONLY drawback to this fine setup is that the front axle is spinning all the time, even in 2WD because there are no hub disconnects and no way to install them. So we run in 2WD most of the time on hard, dry pavement. At the first HINT of rain it goes into 4WD Open and stays there until good weather returneth. There is no fuel penalty for running in 4WD Open, but you need to know that the front axle has a very small ring and pinion so that may be a wear point in 4WD alla time. The case is chain drive, and it is the same case that the Hummer has but they use a heavier chain. Remember, however, that the Hummer has hub reduction so the drivetrain torque is reduced somewhat. If I really wanted to get tricky, I would PUT hub disconnects in front SOMEHOW, and throw the front axle completely out for freeway driving to save the ring and pinion. For the wife to zoom around in winter, just leave it in 4WD Open and she will make fools out of the stuck Blazies, Exploders, Subarooms, and Grundlekraps. If the XJ/ZJ group has a drawback it is in the lack of interior room; behind the seats especially.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks again Dave. So I guess I can just look for "Select Trac" or check out the shift pattern on the T-case shifter (2wd-4wd O-4wd lock-N-4wd low loc)to tell if it has the 242. I was trolling the used car lots tonight after work (second shifter) and spotted a Black '92 Cherokee Laredo. Looks pretty clean but the dealers up here don't put prices in the windows of used vehicles, so you have to actually talk to one of the leeches just to find out a price! I'll give them a call in the morning to get some more details. Thanks again!

Mike H.
2000 Durango SLT

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 09:07 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Even after we move outa state I will still be returning to the west coast a couple of times each year to do some work for select clients. Because there are so many XJ's and ZJ's out here with zero rust, zero dents, and zero 4X time I will occasionally buy a used one and drive the sucker back to our little ramshackle dirt farm in Southeastern Iowa to resupply our fleet of Jeeps. I wouldn't THINK of buying a new one and driving it in the salt. I can keep myself in good used Z's and X's for many years to come and not have to spend much dough. There is virtually an unlimited supply of ex-yuppie rides to be found here in the homo state at pretty darn good prices. The same goes for used 4X pickups. I noticed that older pickups in Iowa are mostly transparent.....there is no body left.....from being driven in salt. We bought a nice FS GM 3/4T this year with the best of everything...SM465/NP205/FF 14-bolt... and a new Goodwrench 350 under the hood for 3K. You could never find a 1980 model in the midwest that still has the body intact. There has to be SOMETHING good about this ungodly state, and it is the all-pavement lifestyle and salt free environment for cars and trucks.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 09:10 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Actually, it should be 2WD....4WD(Lock).....THEN 4WD(Open)....then Neutral[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I know what you mean about the salt cancer. There is virtually nothing on the road up here older than about '85 because rust just takes them out! My '83 Dodge is like swiss cheese (that's why I'm looking for a newer XJ). I wish we could get compensation from the state for ruining our vehicles! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Mike H.
2000 Durango SLT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode