D60 question.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 11:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

D60 question....

I just purchased a front 60 for my beater, and it needs cuttin down to serve the purpose.Has anyone here cut one down to fit under a jeep? I think I can put my springs back under the frame(they are outboarded at the moment)and that would take care of the short side.My question is, what did you cut ? The weld on the knuckle? Or the russet welds on the pumpkin to remove the whole tube? Which would be easier? By the way it is a dodge front d60, so it is a little shorter than the chevy ones..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 12:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: D60 question....

This was for a D44, but it'll answer most of your questions:

http://www.outdoorwire.com/4x4/jeep/...dana44/fsj-cj/

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
http://www.tidesys.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 06:20 PM
Can't Get Enough

Leader, I cut this from a previous post on another board of my front D 60 install. It is a Chevy, but it is basically the same except the measurements...

I found a brand new Dana 60 $$$$$. I knew to expect around 4" of the driver's side axle tube to need narrowing. I first stripped the axle down completely for 2 reasons.First to keep all of the parts free of contaminants. And second to lighten this axle a WHOLE lot.
Knowing I needed 4" less I cut the knuckle off of the axle tube as close as possible to the weld. I did not have the patience , so I sent the cut knuckle to a machine shop to be bored back to original. I have heard where people have hack sawed this chunk of metal out, but I had no patience for this.
I then picked up the axle , ('cause it was light) and mounted the axle to the pass side spring. you will need a GM factory spring plate for a D 60. Again, my fabricating skills suck so I got mine from the dealer. They are approx $ 40.
Once I mounted the axle I did a pile of measuring and re-measuring. I tried to figure measurements from the center of the spring to the knuckle. Then I marked the driver's side as to where the knuckle should be welded. You have to figure that there is about 2" inside the knuckle. I then cut the axle tube to correspond to my measurements. Once cut I pressed the knuckle on the tube constantly measuring the angle and how far it needed to go on the tube. When the knuckle was where it needed to be I had someone weld it on the tube('cause I can't weld yet). When I got the front end aligned I was only off 1/2 of a degree on the caster!!! (not bad for a wanna be) When I measured the WMS to WMS it came out that I cut 4 1/4" off of the axle. That gave me a measurement of 64 3/4". I am expecting my narrowed axle shaft to arrive early next week from Dutchman. I will post my results when I install the innerds. Hope this was not hard to follow after all this was my first attempt at narrowing stuff.

If you need more info I let me know. Ricky...seeya...

CJ-7,401,T-18,Pro-Jection,Dana 60's,38" Hawgs, 4" SOA, soon Detroits...
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myh...e/profile.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 11:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

the weldds on the knuckles are easier to grind, but are you sure it needs cut?? i have mine about in, and with the hummer rims, it doesn't hang out anymore than the d-44 i cut down. i am really happy with the way it turned out. even got to drive it a bit today.....sweet....except the steering...blah.. anyway.. i like the look people give you and the comments" geeze... put a front axle in there!??"
mine was a chevy and i know it is only about 2" wider (with the 12.5 tires) than before(with the 15"boggers) cause it still fits on my trailer...and my d-44 was cut to cj width...

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried..watch for improvements soon[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 10:09 AM
Can't Get Enough

Leader, I originally sent this to your e-mail address, but it came back.
So here is my reply to your question

Hello, to answer your question about lug pattern.. I am using 8 lug wheels. I found a set locally used for $50. What a deal...They were wobbly, but I will
eventually get some beadlocks. When my bank account comes back to a spendable
level.I really did not consider keeping my 5 on 5 1/2. It was just too much
work for the front axle. And with the availability of the rims that was an
easy one. I will have to get my new set of rims with a 3 1/2" back spacing to
clear the grinded front caliper. I did some grinding to clear these. I did
take a lot of material off, but it is still very thick...
If you need anything further just let me know. Have a nice holiday season,
Ricky...seeya...>>

CJ-7,401,T-18,Pro-Jection,Dana 60's,38" Hawgs, 4" SOA, soon Detroits...
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myh...e/profile.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode