Pulling CJ with truck - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 09:41 AM
Wrangler88

Pulling CJ with truck

is it possible to pull a CJ behind a truck without removing the driveshafts or is it ok to? an 86 CJ

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd / 31"BFG AT's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 10:00 AM

Re: Pulling CJ with truck

86 has the Dana 300 Tcase and due to the lubrication being accomplished through the input side it is not reccommended to flat tow without removing the drive shaft.
Several people have towed for short distances with no issues, but if I were running the 300 I would not do it to mine.
Just my .02 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

RocknCJ [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Good judgment comes from bad experiences, bad experiences come from bad judgment.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 10:02 AM
Way Outta Control

The driveshafts contiue to turn the output gears in the Dana300, and you can burn out your transfer case as the gears don't self lube except under power. The work around is to pull the rear driveshaft or to stop about every 200 miles and run the CJ around a bit to re-lube the transfer case. If you're going to do a lot of towing, check out the article "Super Dana300", in:

4WD and Sport Utility, Jun 2000 issue, Page 82

The article describes welding tabs on the gearing to dip into the oil and sling it about so it continues to cool during tows. Then you don't have to pull the driveshaft.

I've also see some of that chemical additives that claim to help oil "cling" to gears... I wonder if that would work to help the oil creep up the output gearing and keep the gears cooled? On second thought ... weld on the tabs!

Happy Holidays and Safe Jeepin'

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 06:23 PM
Veteran

just thinking out loud...what would happen if you would over-fill the t-case with fluid, just for the towing? so the oil level would be high enough that the gears self lube? like i said just thinking out loud.

shawn

"Fear causes hesitation and hesitation causes your worst fears to come true"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 07:56 PM
Old Hand

I have been towing my CJ with the 300 for several years now with no problem. Before I hook up to leave I drive the CJ until everything is up to normal temp; this makes sure the x-case oil is warmed up and gotten the bearing well oiled. Tri-County makes a part you can put in that fixes the oiling problem but if you are that worried about it just pull the drive shaft.

WildCJ5
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...6143&a=2127776
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 08:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you "clock" your D300 that solves the oiling "problem". Just remember
to put the t-case in neutral and the tranny in gear.

Gary
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 08:21 PM
Old Hand

Leve,

I remember reading that article, but it doesn't show exactly where to weld the tabs or paddles. Anyone out there done it that can describe exactly where the paddles get welded. Also, I was wondering if that weakens the shaft?

I was planning on clocking the case and welding those paddles on. Maybe just the clocking would take care of it.

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 08:41 PM
Way Outta Control

I agree about the welding of the tabs... but a small spot weld would do the trick with little harm... But why do all that work? I really like the idea of clocking the trnasfercase and gain that extra ground clearance... I can't think of a downside. Now I've learned two things today! Green things grow, ripe things rot.

Happy Holidays and Safe Jeepin'

Larry
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 09:19 PM
Old Hand

how about putting manual lockout hubs on the rear axle? I think I have seen a few rigs setup with this for towing purposes..

Mark
83 cj7
76 cj7

Mark
83 CJ-7 and 76 CJ-7 with stuff
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 03:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just got my hands a stock 83 CJ-7 and I have been researching towing for 2 weeks. The more expensive option is to install a full-floater rear axle kit for the AMC 20. Warn makes one and it costs around 600 bucks. This gives you manual locking hubs in the rear. I really don't want to do this and I'm usually going to be towing only 70 miles. My questions are: I have a 4 speed...do I just put he transmission in 4th gear and put the transfer case in neutral? Why? Second Question: Do I lock the front hubs or unlock them? Third question: What do I do with the steering wheel? Bungy it into the straight position?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode