Trac Lock lifespan? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 09:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Trac Lock lifespan?

Just wondering what the lifespan should be on the clutches in the trac lock limited slip. My 2000 Sport has it in the D44 and it seems pretty decent. I haven't been off road with it yet, but just playing around in the backyard, it pulled me up a slope with my left rear tire in the air in 2WD. It wasn't as good as the lockright in my old YJ, and I felt the clutches slip some, but it did pull me up with no problems. I was planning on eventually re-gearing and throwing a Detroit in the back, but it would be nice to know what kind of mileage I can get out of this before it's useless. Thanks guys, Mark H

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 10:26 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Trac Lock lifespan?

About 50K or so. It depends on how much it's used and how often the fluid is changed. It will diminish though, so you don't notice it, but when you rebuild it, it'll make a world of difference.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 03:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Mark!

I have a 2000TJ with the D44/Track-Lock. When I had it in for its 30K service, they found all the clutched laying on the bottom of the diff housing. I heard that a friend had the same problem in her 2000 Dodge with the same read. The warranty covered it, and it works fine now (with 10K on the new one). However, having gone through one of these without really trying, I'm eye-balling a Detroit Soft Locker to go along with my True-Trac now in the front.

Jeep tells me the problem has never come up before--but two new D44s with bad Track-Locks?

Hewgag

Visit my 2000TJ at http://www.backcountrytrailers.com/T...ers/bcrigs.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 04:23 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Well, I have a friends 2.73 gears from his model 20 sitting here, who knows how many miles, no apparent problems. We had the TJ's D35C Trac-Lok replaced at 48K, and while it worked, it was certainly shot. That was apparent when the new rear axle was installed and we had it wheeling. The rear end let go due to the pinion bearing letting go and screwing everything up. Now at 83K I replaced the rear axle fluid and found a whole bunch of shiny specs in the oil. Looks like it's time to tear the cover off and see what's going on. The Trac-Lok still works, so who knows what's happening. Glad it's under warranty still.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 12:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, it >does< seem to work nice enough. I had a Lock-Right on my '95YJ and had good results. For most of the off-road driving I do--desert, some rocks--an LS diff works well. I'm still a little gun shy. Maybe the two failures were built on a Friday!

Hewgag

Visit my 2000TJ at http://www.backcountrytrailers.com/T...ers/bcrigs.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode