Lube Wiper Assembly? With? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Lube Wiper Assembly? With?

LEVE brought up an interisting point in a post to JoeyCJ55 ...
He suggested lubing the windshield wiper assembly.
I finally installed my windshield yesterday YEAH! ...
but the bronze bushings and wiper arm barrells were dry so I assumed they should not be lubed.
I'd thought some sort of lube would be appropriated but what type?
Lithium? Oil? Graphite?
Just asking, because i figger the wrong type of lube may actually mess up (freeze) the barrells and arm joints due to frigid conditions when wipers are most needed.
I even considered opening up the wiper motor gear box to lube it ... but had second thoughts about that also.....

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 07:54 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Lube Wiper Assembly? With?

Some bearings are "oilless", that is they ooze lubericant through out their life and are "self-oiling." Usally their a copper/brass alloy. The problem with these bearings is that unitl they fail no one knows if their really bad. And after you notice they've failed, the shafts that rotate in them are scored and deformed.

Me, I like a good coating of white litium on everything inside the windhield, and about once every three months I remove the wiper arms and drip some light machine oil onto the shafts and bearings while the wipers are turned on. I've thought about graphite, but it's just too messy and I've not found a suspension I really liked. So, a light oil works for me. It's been 5 years on the same set of bearings and shafts with no problems.

One of the best light oils I've found is "Breakfree," it's found in gun shops, and is teflon based. I've used it on anythng that's moved from my leg to my car for the last 15 years... great stuff... I'd highly recommend it.

Jaffer is correct about heavy lubericants freezing...so with what ever you decide to use... go easy. Don't create more problems than you cure.

Happy Holidays and Safe Jeepin'

Larry
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Larry.
I can always count on you for thoughtful insite.
Happy Holidays!

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 04:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You know, this is one of those parts on a vehicle that virtually NOBODY thinks of maintaining. I have to admit I've never lubed a windshield wiper assembly EVER, I guess I've just been lucky. (Living in the desert SW probably helps, the wipers don't get a whole lotta use!)

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 02:24 AM
Nickmil

Hey Leve,
Great info! Another type of lube I like to use is called sylglide. Use it on everything from rubber grommeted caliper slides to oil-lite bushings. It's non-freezing, will not affect rubber, does not get thrown off like many oils (is in gel form like petroleum jelly) and can even use it for assembling brake calipers and wheel cylinders. I've even used it for lubing rubber weatherstripping in very cold weather to keep doors from freezing to the rubber. Just another cool product to keep in mind. Any quality parts house can get it if they want to [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]. Nickmil.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode