Any homemade swaybar disconnects for CJ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 07:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Any homemade swaybar disconnects for CJ?

I am trying to figure out what to do. I need to put my sway bar back on my CJ.

I was considering making my own links... until i saw the SUN PERFORMANCE item which gets welded in the center of the sway bar and it has a pin.

Has anyone made their own? If I was to make my own, would a standard swaybar pin be strong enough?

1997 TJ w/ 33's
1984 CJ7 V8 SOA w/35's or 39's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/
www.jeepeast.com/overmost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 10:28 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Any homemade swaybar disconnects for CJ?

I made mine, very easy to do. I put a 4" lift on my jeep and the geometry dictated I needed longer connections any way. What I did was just purchase some 1" and some 3/4" square tubing, I believe 1/8" wall. Just make sure the smaller will slide in the larger with a fairly tight fit. Cut the old connectors apart and use just the ends, weld on the tubing and drill a hole 7/16" in each and then get some 3/8" disconnect pins from any hardware store and you are done. Make the tubing as short as possible to ease connection. The last step is to make sure you secure the ends up out of the way when they are disconnected. This is to prevent them from striking something and doing damage to themselves or to other parts (hoses, fitings, etc.). I had thought about redoing mine with two short 3/4" stubs on the disconnects, and a removable 1" center section that could be removed completely and stored inside when wheeling. It would require two pins per side, but would make securing the ends out of the way when disconnected, unnecessary.

I instead found out I really dont use them anymore.

Total cost was about $10.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky & Big Game
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 11:28 AM
I Do This For The Glory

The swaybar setup you're referring to limits the articulation. I'd just make my own, I don't run them, not needed with the RS9000's, but they're be simple to make. Just take the stock swaybar link and cut it off in the middle (or ends if you want the center to be removed). Then take a piece of pipe, large enough to go over the center section of the link, and weld it on one side. Now put the 2 together and drill a hole through both separate pieces, large enough for a pin to go through. That's it. Homemade swaybar disconnects!

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 11:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I like the idea of it in the center cause there is only one pin to fight with and I wouldn't have to worry about holding it up out of the way.

It would limit the suspension? WHy cause it can't move side to side a bit? It would be able to move up and down like normal... I guess I can understand that.

I just didn't feel like messing with the links everytime. lol.. I am just being lazy. How do you like the 9000's? Do you have the in cab setup or no?

Thats a lot of money to spend on my CJ but I am considering it on my TJ.

Thanks.

1997 TJ w/ 33's
1984 CJ7 V8 SOA w/35's or 39's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/
www.jeepeast.com/overmost
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 11:59 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I like the RS9000's, great shock. I don't have the remote, so I just adjust them by hand, 1 for the trails, 3 for the road, and 5 for heavy loads around the house, set and forget. They're expensive, but with the "buy 3, get 1 free" deal that comes up a few times a year, it makes them more reasonable. I'm thinking of a set for the TJ, along with the in-cab remote, the shocks on it are toast now. I just have to get the ones off the TJ first, anyone notice the top bolts are metric while the bottoms are standard? A little PB and the impact driver should work, hopefully.

Someone has a remote operated swaybak link setup out that uses the single pin design in the center of the swaybar. I looked at it, but decided 1)if I was that lazy I don't need to own a jeep, and 2) while it looks good in theory, it would limit the articulation more than the link disconnects.

The swaybar links we have on the TJ are nice, made by Summit Off Road, and cost $70. They're the 3 piece design, and very easy to get back together. They use a tapered pin that automatically wants to mate the two holes. The only problem is the pins are a little long so at full lock they rub on the tires abit. Not a problem for the tire, but I can see the rub marks on the sidewall.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 11:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

totally agree... take off the sway bar and run the 9000...

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried..watch for improvements soon[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode