Ball joint question and a warning! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Ball joint question and a warning!

I went through my wife's d30 front axle on her Scrambler the other day, and while putting new ball joints in, I ran into a problem getting the adjusting sleeve threaded down into the yoke after installing the knuckle.-The sleeve kept getting jammed against the stud with 2-3 threads exposed ABOVE the yoke.
After cursing it for about an hour, I went to bed and tried again the next morning. After alot of thought, the only thing I could think of was that the sleeve didn't have the taper machined into it. I looked at it, and it didn't!
I went back to the parts store to exchange the sleeve and showed it to the nice man behind the counter. He pulled another box from stock, and THAT one had a non-machined sleeve, also! The next box had a good sleeve so I took it home and finished the job.
Moral of the story is to check the adjusting sleeve on the ball stud before I leave the parts store next time this job comes around. It would have saved me alot of grief.
Now for the question. I searched for "ball joint" here while trying to find the problem, and got reminded of the problem with the snap rings that are included with the joints.
None of the lower joints I have ever installed protruded far enough out the bottem of the yoke to expose the snap ring groove. (I installed 'em with a 12 ton press into freshly sandblasted parts so I know the are seated properly)
I just figured the snap rings were for another application. Am I missing something here?
And on the upper ball joint, I've had to cut the snap ring down to get it to fit, because their isn't enough flat area around the ball joint to get the entire ring in.
Am I missing something here, as well??
TIA,
Bob in Ma

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 07:22 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Ball joint question and a warning!

I asked the same question when I installed my ball joints. It is the only time I have ever replaced ball joints. But as far as I can tell you are right. The ball joints never stick through far enough for the snap rings to work. I'm assuming that it's for an earlier version of the D30. If I remember correctly, my ball joints didn't even come with snap rings in the boxes. They just had the groove machined in there, but really no use for it.

BTW.... did you install the ball joints with zert fittings? I was just curious. My front end didn't have any room for the grease fittings (upper).

DREW
IN2DEEP <font color=red>78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

No, you can't leave the grease fittings in the upper balljoint, there simply isn't enough room for the u-joint to turn. You have to pull the axleshafts and temp install the grease fitting. I have gotten pretty efficient with removing parts from my jeep, and now that everything is freshly sanblasted, with fresh parts, new paint and anti-sieze,I could probably pull the axleshafts out in less than 20 minutes. I usually re-lube the upper ball joint when I do wheel bearings, or change axleshaft u-joints.
bob in MA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 10:15 AM
FlMudCJ

The D30 and D44 share common balljoints, both upper and lower. In their common versions anyway. On my D44 the snaprings were well exposed and seated properly. I never did it with my D30, but I would check to make sure that they are seated completly. my .02

'77 CJ-5: 304/T-150/D-20 F-D44 R-9" Power 4 wheel disk, 36X12.5 swampers
bigmudtire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode