HELP - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 10:31 PM
Reaver

HELP

I`ve just bought another CJ7 (82 258)( these things are addictive )much to my girlfriends dismay. I got it pretty cheap ( by UK standards ) because there was a bit of work to be done to it one of the problems was a leaking rocker cover now I only have scant mechanical knowlegde ( I`m a web designer ) but I`m always trying to fix things myself and in the end I have to call the experts in and i think I`ve done it again.
I removed the rocker cover only to find 20 yrs of crud wedged around the push rods and the rocker arms so I decided to clean it out before putting on the new rocker cover I did`nt want to remove the cylinder head so I removed the push rods ( keeping them in order ) and the rocker arms then started shovelling the crud out with a wallpaper scraper and some degreaser( the guy who owned it before obviously hadn`t heard of oil changes ) I eventually cleaned it all out along with the push rods etc and put it back together.But when I started her up the seal went again ( I used the wrong Gasket paste ) and she sounded terrible.
So i left her overnight got the right gasket paste and went to try again but as I was turning her around to drive her into the garage the engine cut out and now she won`t start, she turns over but won`t start.
I noticed the temp sender unit wire has been pulled out from its connection in the fire wall could this be the problem ? Also the intake manifold gasket is blown ( that was my next job ). when I was turning her around today the engine was spluttering badly and she didn`t have enough power to reverse up the drive into the garage, thats when she cut out and has`nt started since.
Please help. I really love this old girl and I`d hate to think I`d done something to hurt her.
Its 04.22 over here in london and I`ve been up all night flicking though my haynes trying to work it out.

Thanks in advance.
Nick.

Hey, I`m new to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 10:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: HELP

check your oil lever....check your coolant level.....if the engine was very dirty, the spark plugs may be gunked up....so check for spark there too.....

invest some money into a repair manual such as "Chiltons" or "Haynes"...they are good and give you detailed explanations for more work on your new jeep. If the engine was that poorly maintained, you may have to pull it apart eventually.....these manuals tell how to do it

Jeep'n Greg
http://members.tripod.com/illinois_OR/index.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 10:47 PM
Reaver

Thanks for your quick reply Greg.
I`ll check the areas you mentioned.
I Have a Haynes manual but I find it quite poor in alot of areas so I`m trying to get hold of a Techincal service manual. ( not easy in the UK mind you nothing to do with Jeeps is easy in the UK ).

Cheers.
Nick.

Hey, I`m new to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 10:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You mentioned that it sounded terrible when it started back up. If you got the clearances wrong when reinstalling the rocker arms that would make them clatter and bang around and I know that sounds terrible. If this is the case then the valves can't open and close properly and I guess (not sure, sorry) that might stop it from starting at least it would explain the lack of power because you would have very low engine compression. My other thought is a fuel problem. Would also explain sputtering and lack of power. Did you remove anything other than the valve (rocker) cover? Let us know what kind of noise it was making and check for your two basics a)fuel, b)spark. If you have both of those making it run should be easy with the right info.

'88 Sahara
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 10:57 PM
Keyboard Implanted

just an added note....chiltons is better than haynes...... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

and also..welcome to the board....fill out your profile and come back often...you learn sometihng new here everyday
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Jeep'n Greg
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 10:57 PM
Keyboard Implanted

just an added note....chiltons is better than haynes...... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

and also..welcome to the board....fill out your profile and come back often...you learn sometihng new here everyday
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Jeep'n Greg
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 10:58 PM
cj7jeep

Sounds like the rocker arms are not adjusted correctly. Another long shot is if you removed the plug wires while you were at it. If so, double check that you put them back correctly.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 06:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check out this link for reprints of factory service manuals. I don't know what they cost but I paid $73 for my original and don't regret it a bit. Good luck with your jeep.
http://autobooksbishko.com/

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 07:34 AM

There is no valve adjustment on a 258. They all had hydraulic lifters and all one needs to do is MAKE SURE THE PUSHRODS WERE SET BACK INTO THE LIFTER BODIES and tighten the rocker nuts all the way down.
A skewed pushrod (one set to the side - instead of inside the lifter) would cause the engine to act this way and possibly could destroy it due to a piston striking a jamed open valve.

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 06:42 PM
Reaver

Thanks for all your help guys,
I haven`t had a chance to try anything out yet but I will do tomorrow. I think jaf is on the right track as there was still alot of crap on the cylinder head and I could`nt really see if the push rods were seated properly ( I may take the head off and clean it properly ).
Anyway I`ll keep you posted.

Thanks again.

Nick.

Hey, I`m new to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode