Son of a....! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Son of a....!

Earlier I went to the carwash in my moms altima and saw some 40ish guy in a new fourrunner stuck in some snow..It was just a little patch.He didnt have four wheel drive and one of his tires was off the ground.I tried to help him push and..well we couldn't budge it.I told him I live like 10 minutes away and if he can wait that long I will come back in my jeep.Well I was working on my jeep earlier and I forgot to put everything back.I had to put a few bolts in my dash and re-attach my top.I forgot to put the hood holder downs on.Well anyway I got back to that place where he was stuck and he wasn't there.I was kinda pissed.Well on my drive home my f&#king hood flies up and slams into my windshield frame.Im like AHH PANIC!I was going about 40...I looked behind me and got in the turning lane(luckily it was a intersection that wasn't ever busy.I got out and put the hood back down.Damn it was scary!My window was already cracked on both sides..it wasnt that bad.Now its throught the whole windshield.Man i need to get a new one!I also have a decent sized dent in my hood.I knew about it for a while..I thought it would be alright til I got home though!Damn!

If knowledge=power and time=money.. please donate all your time and knowledge to my jeep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 09:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Son of a....!

I think that is probably a separate club all together. Like a mini-club within a club. First there's the overall "it's a Jeep thing...." club, but within that is the subset of those who forgot to latch the hood clamps and it popped up on them.

Welcome to the club.

;<)

canis
'82 CJ-7/360/727/D300/M.O.R.E. shackles and lots of ideas!

Have you kissed your JEEP lately?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 06:43 AM
Way Outta Control

Been there, done that... exactly 2 days after rebuilding the tub and repainting the CJ. I had just enough time to take a few pictures of the pristene CJ. The hood flew up a 60mph, hit the hardtop and bent back over the top. There are few times in my life that I fly blind, but that was one of them. Yes, it was a very scary time. It took a few hours to bang out the hood and a few more to quit cussin' myself for my stupidity. I'd checked the oil and forgot to clamp the hold downs... so much for the hood latch holding!

Windshield frames aren't too expnsive. Shop around, most of the aftermarket frames are much the same quality. Thi is a good time to take apart all the wiper arm assemblies and refurbish them. This is a point of failure on the CJ, leading one to buy a new windshield frame. They bind up if not lubed and the torque from the wiper motor to the arms actually can deform the frame. Then you're forced to lots of welding in reinforcements or having binding wipers. Keep those shafts and bearings lubed!

Also, aftermarket windshield frames are a one-size fits all. You'll probably have to enlarge the window opening or grind down the windshield glass to have each part each other fit the other. I recommend a shop doing this job the first time to make sure everything fits. Also shop around on the glass price. I found prices for windshield glass varied everhwere from $125, installed, all the way up to over $300 just for the glass. You can guess where I went! Normally I'd say you get what you pay for, but not in this time. The $125 glass and install was just fine with me!

You've joined a very large Jeep faternity with this one!

Happy Holidays and Safe Jeepin'

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 07:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've done the same thing... twice.
Both time I was cruising along at about 35, when boom.
I hate when you can start to see something bad happen but
can't do a damn thing about it. Very annoying. Amazingly,
my fiberglass hood doesn't have any damage from either
mishap. That nice Chromaclear didn't even chip off.

Tom

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 09:38 AM
Can't Get Enough

It dosn't take driving it to have the same thing happen. When I was looking at my jeep pryor to purchase, I had the hood open in front of the sellers home, hood was on the stand, and a rain squall with high winds came up and blew the hood back into the windshield. The seller just about had a heart attack. I am living with the dent, figure no sense worrying about cosmetics yet. Having it fly up in traffic Does NOT sound fun. Glad you
weren't hurt.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky & Big Game
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

It wasnt the frame that was broken..I have the dent in the hood and a huge crack in the windshield itself.Luckily the frame is alright...I am so broke!

If knowledge=power and time=money.. please donate all your time and knowledge to my jeep!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Did you get the jeep for any cheaper cause of the dent?I'm glad my cj is a cj...with the custom $18 paint job and all..or otherwise I would care about the hood..The glass is all I care about.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 04:09 PM
I Do This For The Glory

No kidding, the glass used to be one of the most expensive things on the jeep.

It's a trademark dent, not one to be missed or taken lightly. I almost wish I had one. My sister in law has 2 dents on her hood, from the inside, due to tools being left on the radiator and falling into the fan. Kinda neat when you think about it.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 06:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You'll now start to notice many other Jeep's with with the "hood dent"
I've done it twice....Metal hood got a big dent.
Fiberglass hood didn't even scratch the paint.
Now that I think about it,
I did it a few times in M151's...Didn't look for damage. Govt owned

Join the club. Hope the neighbors didn't see ya.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 06:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I was just thinking of this the other day when i was sanding down my hood getting ready to paint. I think it is a prerequisite for every jeep owner to at least once have the hood fly up. Especially the older cj's without the grill hood catch. My buddy did it to my jeep, before i bought it from him and it snapped the corner off the old fiberglass hardtop. I do wait for the time i will do it and join the club. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] It is so common it seems to come out of the factory like that. I hope you get it fixed, but if you keep it like that it ads the character to jeep and it is a conversation starter.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode