Advice on Fuel injection needed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Advice on Fuel injection needed

I was contemplating installing a fuel injection system on my 79 cj-5 with a 304 and 4 barrel manifold this winter, and need to know the differences between Howell and Holley. I need to find the cheapest and easiest to install. Thanks for all the input.

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 09:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Advice on Fuel injection needed

You can read my post earlier tonight on my experience with Jeg's and the Holley Projection 2D. The Holley system is cheaper. I paid about 700 for mine with the intake. I think the Projection is a good system but I was getting pure crap from Jeg's so it put a real bad taste in my mouth about FI. I think I am going back to a Carb for awhile. When it worked, it worked really well. I had it on a 304 too. The caveat to that is it hardly ever worked. Those are just my experiences though. I know alot of folks have had good luck with it.

Hope that helps
Jeff

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2000, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Back to the top. Well I'm definitely installing fuel injection, I still need to know what system will give me the easiest installation, and the best performance. It's going to be either the holley projection or the howell efi system. I know that I want a closed loop system, and howell already quoted me $1200 for there system. Any advice would be appreciated.

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 01:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had a Holey on my 4.2L and it didn't work too well. Plus u will have to buy everything aftermarket once u install it. Therefore, I highly recommend that u do not buy it.
I would go with Howell setup idea. From what I understand it uses GM parts, so u can fix it cheap plus it has reliability build into it, and u can buy parts everywhere. However, I would try to get the parts locally and just get the ECM programmed properly (u can probably use howell for that). Maybe someone on the BBS can help out with the part #s (I remember seeing it in one of the forums some time ago). See how much u can save this way and decide.
Be warned though, if you choose to buy all from Howell. I used them and had lots of problems. Initially they send me a wrong ECM, with bad ignition module to boot!!! Took me about a month to get it replaced, and plenty of nerve wrecking phone calls...Anyways just make sure you have all the right parts b4 u start tearing your old setup or u might be grounded for some time. Also, don't expect the Howell experts to treat u as #1 priority, they have too much on their hands to keep up. Once they get to know u they will start talking like normal human beings though. Expect to pay for anything/everything (ex:shipping on bad parts returns). I had to buy the new module for my setup to replace their bad one before they decided that it was bad, than they agreed to reimburse me for it after a few painfull conversations (haven't seen any money coming my way yet! going over four months now).

Anyways, sorry to rumble on. Once u get the FI working there is no going back. It's awesome!
Hope this heps...

"Those damned replicants. Have u retired any today?"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 10:41 PM
Official Historian

here's some of the comments i've made about my system:

i like the projection because now i can go up and down insane grades without the engine flooding. it starts when i turn the key and it runs until i turn the key off. i have the closed loop kit but i don't think it's worth the money. all the kit is is the sensor. the wire from it plugs into the computer.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 08:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the holley projection 2D. For around $700 it works fine. I was able to install it myself, tune it myself, and it also let's me climb hills I couldn't climb with my carb. I only spent about 30 minutes tuning it. So It doesn't start right up when cold. I have to give it gas, but when it starts I dont' have to touch the pedal again. That is not a concern for me, I guess it might bug some people, but I wanted it for the hill climbing.

FOR SALE: D35, 4.11, posi.
John-89YJ-350V8,35" swampers,EFI,revolvers,shackle reversal, swaybar/tracbar disconnects,SYE,cv shaft,4.11,locked frontD30,rocklock,need ford 8.8 soon,2"body, TJ flares.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode