Pulse Air... any use? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 05:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Pulse Air... any use?

How useful/important is the Pulse Air System on my 88 YJ(4.2)? I had it all disconnected for a couple of months and the Jeep ran great, I even got an extra 50km to a tank. I have since reconnected the system and put the closed air filter back on for the winter but the milage is hurting me. Is the system realy of any use or can I scrap it for good? I also had to change my ignition module recently and my mechanic took off my Accel Super coil and reinstalled the factory coil telling me that it may have helped the module go bad. Any thoughts? I realy want better milage but this stock stuff is killing me.

'88 Sahara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 08:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Pulse Air... any use?

It is part of the emmisions system and is needed to pass inspection testing in Texas. I do not know how strict your emmisions testing is in Canada but you may want to check before scraping it.

TexasJeep
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 09:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

you'll get two responces from this forum.....1) junk it....it doesnt do anything...2)keep it...it wont run right w/o it...

if you are running the stock setup with no mods to the carb.....keep it...it wount do any harm...and you really arent choking up your engine all that much with it....

if you did a TR type upgrade or similar where you are not using the somputer controlls...dont worry about it...you dont need it...

the accel coil shouldnt have done anything..the most i could see would be friing the distributer cap/rotor.....but that questionable....... i recommend if you want better milage...go with a complete new ignition system...like MSD....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Jeep'n Greg
http://members.tripod.com/illinois_OR/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 10:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Emissions tests aren't a factor where I live. Its simply whether the Jeep will run better with on without it. People always complain about emissions pumps and I found my Jeep ran better without it but I was told to put it back on by a mechanic but not given a reason. When I did undo it, I left the parts intact so that I could replace it if needed.

'88 Sahara
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 02:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got a 90yj 4.2 it use to have the pulse system in it but when I got the jeep from a friend he said that a ford dealer (in canada) had removed the pump but left the rest of the garbage when thay rebuilt the inline6. I talked to aircare about this and thay said that it could go but I would have to keep the cat. hope this will help you, If you have any more questions about this let me know we can talk

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]http://members.home.net/paul5696[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 06:12 AM
sas87yj

i don't think there was a pump-only the pulse air system. i left my pulse system on to pass smog, although i took the two hoses off the air filter and attached them to the firewall. i plugged the two holes in the filter canister with caps and installed little filters on each end of pulse hoses. the pulse valves can go bad and not open-close correctly and let exhaust go back directly into your carb-no bueno![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 08:55 AM

When I put my Webber carb on I ripped off damned near all the vacuum lines that weren't required to keep the engine running nicely or operate the front-axle disconect. I love being able to actually see the engine (and the oil-leaks [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]) now.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 11:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I took all the pulse air plumbing off mine. capped off the air cleaner w/ 3/4in. caps. Plugged the tube in the cat-con and plugged the vacuum lines. I passed emissions big time with just the TR upgrade. Ran really clean. If there is no visual inspection where you live, I'd say scrap it. Just remember to plug everything up for it to run right. I have a visual inspection here, but I made it look really clean and professional in there. Like nothing was missing or out of place....

Tommy B. in AZ -
More Guts than Brains.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 12:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Can you even get the pulse air tubes and valves anymore? I guess that would be a factor in the emissions question. "If my tubes rusted out, and they are not available anymore, how can they make you have them?" My '83 had this system, but it is being removed as the Jeep gets rebuilt.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, Down to the bare frame...parts everywhere!
2000 Durango SLT

I can't go to work today...the voices said "Stay home and clean your guns!"
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 02:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, you can still get all the parts for the pulse air system. There is a AMC 4X4 salvage here in Phoenix that can order the tubes (short one is like $25 and the long one is $35ish), the air valves ($40 each)and the hoses (molded) can be ordered at a dealership (Can't remember the prices). I checked on this before I took my emissions test to see if I passed. If I didn't, I would've had to buy all that stuff and put it back on. Hope this helps...

Tommy B. in AZ -
More Guts than Brains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode