YJ Questions ??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 01:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

YJ Questions ???

Hey Guys,

As most of you know i just got a YJ. Here are a few quick questions for ya.

What are the best mods to do to the 2.5L 4 banger to give it a little life?

How do i tell what tranny i have? (it is a 5 spd)

The transfer case wont go into Neutral or 4 low but will switch from 2h to 4h no problem. Sounds like something is hitting. Any ideas? This common?

Is the NP231 a nice T case after the SYE?

How bad does the 2.5L strain with 35" tires and 4:56 gears? Anyone running like this??

I cant believe i have to relearn all the stuff i have now. Argg!!!

Oh well can never have too much knowledge

Thanks Guys!!!

[b]Boston Mangler
CJ7 With A Bunch Of Goodies
See It At:
http://ct-web.unh.edu/yankeetoys/kspeicher/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 01:33 PM
Wrangler88

Re: YJ Questions ???

well i've got a 95 wrangler with a 2.5L and 5spd, but lets hit the basics, your gears are 4.10's upfront 4.11's in the rear, your tranny is the AX-5, probably the best to do is get a catback and some kind of air intake upgrade like turbo city rock-it tube or make something like that yourself, the NP-231 is a nice case you can get a 4:1 reduction for it, its aluminum, but oh well, ask H8Moonday hes running 36's with his 2.5L and he kicks ass, not sure why it won't go into neutral or 4lo, and well i'm out of help, hope this helps! have fun with your new jeep! oh and most important you will get more women because of the sqaure lights so beware heheeh j/k!

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd / 31"BFG AT's
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 01:37 PM

Best mods to the 4-banger... TR ignition and MSD box, supercharger, headers, good exhaust. All the normal stuff, really.

Tranny is an Aisin-Warner AX-5 (3.93 1rst, .85 5th, 4.74 Reverse) Plenty strong for the 4-cylinder and uses the common 10.5" clutch disc.

NP-231s are a pretty strong x-case, I doubt that a 4-banger can hurt it. Dunno about your shifting problems though

I'd go with 4.88 gears for running 35s. 4.56 gears would be OK with a 6, but the four will probably struggle, and you'll be wasting that 5th gear.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 01:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the advice Mikey

that is just what i needed to hear.

Now, how am i going to mount the T-18 i paid an arm and a leg for to the 4 banger?? Hmmmmmm???

[b]Boston Mangler
See It At:
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 02:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

FYI....When you get that SYE for the NP231, make sure to find one that doesn't have a core charge associated with the output shaft. If it does have the core charge then the company is just machining down the original output shaft and not making a new one. The new, probably forged, one is much stronger than a stock machined one. JB Conversions & Tom Woods come to mind.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, 4.5" RE lift, Tera Revolvers, etc. etc.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 02:41 PM

I am running a 90 YJ 2.5 liter in mine at the time. It has been it since the start of summer, also the AX5 tranny and NP231, which is the same set up youll have. The only mods I did to the mill(since I only thought I was gonna run it for a month or so) was a K&N filter, high flow exhaust and cat, and recently an MSD Ignition. The motor is very smooth, and has good reliable torque starting at about 800 rpms,(the MSD ignition hepled low end torque considerably enough that I would highly recommend it). I am running 4.56 gears and a 4:1 Tera Low conversion,(its a very good upgrade but too expensive). With the present upgrades, I was able to run my 35" SSRs at highway speeds of about 65mph without to much problem in 4th gear(I dont grab 5th gear in 2H very often though). You will be able to maintain at least 55 on almost any hill by dropping to 3rd and turning about 4000 rpms(which doesnt seem to affect the engine at all), it purrs right along at the higher RPMs without even a sign of overheating. The mill will run or start on any angle and never even sputter, and also maintains good oil pressure and engine temperatures under the most brutal conditions. It runs cool even when playing at the hammers in the middle of summer, easily 120 degrees plus in those canyons, running up hill all day long at at less than 1 mph with not even a breeze on the radiator. 4.56 gears will get you where you want to go but you will be clutching on some obstacles, without the 4:1 in the T case. Like I said I thought when I emergency swapped the 2.5 it would just be for a few weeks untill I put together a V8, but Ive been extremely impressed with how well it gets it awn, off road.
It will be retired though in about another month, sniffff, snifff, its kinda sad. Im not sure what Im gonna do with the old mill at this point, might have to hang onto to it in case the Mustang motor cant cut it, hahahaha.

Jeff
89 YJ
If at 1st you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 02:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

>>>>>Best mods to the 4-banger... TR ignition and MSD box, supercharger, headers, good exhaust. All the normal stuff, really.
*****ok so there is a TR upgrade available for the 4banger too? I have not heard of this. Anymore details??

>>>>>Tranny is an Aisin-Warner AX-5
***** Is this a definite or could the Peugot thing be in there?

>>>>>JB Conversions & Tom Woods come to mind. (SYE's)
***** You mean those are the good ones or the bad ones? I was thinking of going with TW cause all i hear is great things about him and his stuff!!

>>>>>the MSD ignition hepled low end torque considerably enough that I would highly recommend it).
***** Which model did you get? did you do the TR upgrade at the same time??

>>>>>The mill will run or start on any angle and never even sputter
***** Many people have told me this and i think i will keep this 4 banger for awhile

Thanks for all the help guys. I love this BBS!!

[b]Boston Mangler
See It At:
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 03:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The I don't know which model tranny you have, but the Peugot(aka: BA/10) is only offered on the 258 I6 equiped YJ's('87-'89 1/2). Some latter '89 YJ 258 I6 start the AX-15. The Peugot should not be there.

The JB Conversions and TW are the good ones. JB Conversions only makes the good one. TW makes one with and one without a core, so be carefull which you get(I think that I remember this being true). I hear only good things about TW as well.

Do the TR upgrade at the same time as the MSD box. Get the MSD Offroad model. The offroad model is sealed in epoxy(waterproof & more rugged).

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, 4.5" RE lift, Tera Revolvers, etc. etc.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 03:33 PM

Teraflex makes a very good SYE kit also.
The MSD I wnet with was the OFF-ROAD model, it is still an MSD6-A but TR had said that they incorporated some of the advanced features of the 7 in that model. Im not aware of a TR type upgrade for the 2.5. I just installed the box, went with Accell 8.5 mm wires and opened the gap on the plugs and advanced the timing.
I have an extra K&N filter for the stock air box, (I built a tube type set up with a raial filter on the end). I could send it your way, E mail me with an address and Ill toss it in the mail for ya.
No chance of you having the Puegot POS tranny, it only came on the 6 cylinder. The AX 5 has held up very well, but I did melt down an internal slave cylinder for the TOB once with the old engine and tranny(but I only had the 4.10 gears back then, and I was playing at the hammers in the middle of summer).

Jeff
89 YJ
If at 1st you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 03:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think the Team Rush upgrade will work for ANY vehicle without a TFI coil. Basically is is just a high performance tune up with better wires and a large cap so that you get less cross fire.

Sorry I dont have anything else on this for you.

Hey Mangler.... wassup dude?

89 YJ, 2.5" springs, 1.25" shackles, blah and blah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode