Electrical question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Electrical question

A while back I did the heater upgrade on my '84 CJ, very happy. Recently though, whenever I turn the fan on to the highest setting, the radio shuts off momentarily. NO fuses are blowing. Also, with the heater, lights, and wipers on the volt gauge is dropping down to 10, anyone else have this happen? The charging system is fine, and it has been like this for a year, bad ground maybe?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 12:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Electrical question

I had a similar problem, turned out to be the ground cable from the headlights (the ground is on the driver side, inside the grille). Cleaned the terminal and problem went away. Hope this helps and good luck.

John C.

[email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 12:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Dear Urban Critter: I suspect that your Jeeps are not "well acquainted"....that is to say that the tub-dash-body Jeep is not altogether familiar with the frame/axle group Jeep or the engine/tranny group Jeep. I suspect that what you need are some really good GROUND WIRES connecting the three Jeeps that you are driving around in.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Ground wires to EVERYTHING will give you benefits you haven't even DREAMED of .[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

CJDave, You're absolutely right about the composition of my Jeep, wrangler tubbed, CJ drivetrain, and who knows what year block, thank God it's a Jeep, not a vette! I do remember the post on grounding everything, and will go ahead and do that this weekend, like a stocking stuffer to myself. Urban critter???????? Have some love for NYC Jeepers, the few of us (I've seen 5 CJ's in NYC in the last two years; and yes they wave) add class to Manhattan island. Nothing here but Wall Street pinheads thinking they're cool driving in their Lexus 4xstation wagons.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 05:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Sometimes I do scanning/consulting for companies in Silicon Valley and I am always amazed at how many SUVs there are in those parking lots, NONE OF WHICH will ever get off the pavement. A while back we were joking about making a yuppie SUV "trail drive" with three-inch deep gravel-bottom water holes and a car wash with cappuchino kiosk at the end of the "trail" so the yuppies can congregate and talk about how they "made it through!"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Up here in the Gold Rush country there are lots of Harley excursions from the San Francisco Bay area. A local guy is getting some dough together to build a company called "destinations" or some such thing where he sells tours to bike-owner yuppies who; unlike traditional Hog Owners; are afraid to go anywhere that isn't guaranteed, controlled, paved, and policed. He will have specific runs with secure lodgings and yes, LOTS of expensive cappuchino.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Yuppies are the new "fish" of modern society. There are hundreds of neat ways to get the money from their pocket into yours.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Here in NYC or Long Island, it is not uncommon to see three or four Grand Cherokees in a row at parking lot. Even funnier is that they are all usually red or black. I had a friend with a red one, and had to stop waving at strangers everytime I saw a red one with M/T tires and on it, but it wasn't him.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode