MJ D44 A direct bolt on for YJ's ????????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

MJ D44 A direct bolt on for YJ\'s ?????????

I was looking through the tech pages on off-road.com and they mentioned the xj and mj d44, and said that both were spring over from the factory, I thought that the mj was spring under, would this axle just bolt right on? I think this axle came with mj's w/ the metirc ton packages or towing packages, and xj's with the towing package from about '87-'89. Just a crazy thought I had and I was wondering if it would work, atlast a bolt on 44 for the yj, no wheel changes.
BarrelRoll

'95 YJ Totaled!
Now All I have is an insurance Claim !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 12:41 PM

Re: MJ D44 A direct bolt on for YJ\'s ?????????

Yes, it will work. The MJs are SUA while the XJs are SOA. For people sticking with the stock D30/D35 combo, it is much easier to find 4-cylinder XJs in the 'yard than YJs. Also, XJ/MJ axles dont have that front-axle disconnect. Slap on some Warn hubs and your all set!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

I was talking about taking a dana 44 from a mj and swapping in the dana 44, not as a replacement but as an upgrade.
BarrelRoll

'95 YJ Totaled!
Now All I have is an insurance Claim !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 07:50 PM

Yes it works!, A friend of mine did it a few years ago. Same with, same bolt pattern. bigger brakes. The only thing I cant remember is where the spring mounts are located. It makes for a real easy upgrade, but, good luck finding the axle!

Ben

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 08:06 PM

None of the D44 front axles come with 5 on 4 1/2", the bolt pattern wont fit around the outer hub.
But the mid to late 80s Grand Waggoneers are a very close D44 SUA swap to a YJ, but with the 6 bolt pattern.

Jeff
89 YJ
If at 1st you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 04:35 PM

Geeze H8, I did all that swaping work for nothing[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] But I swear it worked, I even kept the original yj mags! I'm telling you, That dana 44 is out there and it has 5 on 4.5. Since were on the subject, I came across a xj that had an amc 20 with one piece axles and 5 on 4.5, and the guy swears it came from the factory that way!!! Oh, by the way, nice jeep!

Ben

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 05:21 PM

I know its hard to believe, but I could be,.....errr, uhhh, hmmm, "wrong", wheew,.. that was hard to say.
But when I was 1st swapping the D44 in the front of my YJ, I didnt want to have to buy new beadlocks so I wanted to adapt or convert the front D44 down to 5 on 4 1/2. When I called moser they said they couldnt convert D44 rotors down to the smaller size because the outer hub would sit way to close to the bolt pattern, and that it wouldnt matter anyway because the 5 on 4 1/2" wheels could not fit over the the D44 hub in any case( My canyon Crawler beadlocks would not fit over my D44 hubs, either). They mentioned that was also the reason for having to go to the 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern if you wanted a Warn D30 hub conversion with the bigger 297 U joints. That kit uses a D44 size hub which wont allow the 5 on 4 1/2" wheels to fit over it either.
In any case if they are out there, cool!
And, thanks for the compliment on my YJ.

Jeff
89 YJ
If at 1st you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 07:01 PM

It is not a direct swap becauseas was mentioned earlier the spring pads are wider apart than the YJ pads. It is a spring under though, has bigger brakes, stronger housing, and the same 5 on 4.5" wheel bolt pattern. It is an easy swap, just cut off the old mounts and weld on some new ones. Since you have to redo the spring pads anyway-- to make your doner axle easier to find you can use the rear axle from an MJ or XJ that has the Dana 44, Just go to a junk yard and look under every XJ/MJ there. Another easy swap is the Ford 8.8 from an Explorer or 4.0 V-6 powered Ranger- these have the 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern are almost exactly the same width as your old Dana 35. The only mods are new spring pads. This will give you more options for finding your new axle. We swapped a Dana 44 from an MJ into my brothers Jeep and saw quite a few (8-10) Dana 44's on MJ's in the various junk yards around hear so they aren't that hard to find- just gotta crawl under every Jeep you see.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 10:27 PM

Jeff, he's typing about a REAR D44 from an MJ, and your typing about a FRONT D44 from a G-wagon... So what both of you said was right, just on different topics... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode