Who has done the power brake upgrade on a CJ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Who has done the power brake upgrade on a CJ?

I want to put power brakes on my CJ. I have the article from 4WD and Sport Utility that covers swapping boosters, but I was wondering if anyone has gone from manual to power with an upgraded booster?

I am going to get the firewall bracket from a Wrangler($14), a new power brake mstr. cylinder, and a used booster from the junkyard. The article suggests using a booster from an 80's Cadillac, but I know that most GM dual diaphram boosters will work. In the article they modify the actuator arm for the booster. Does anyone know of a dual diaphram booster that is a bolt in? Please give any tips or suggestions if you have done this or are thinking about it.

Thanks,

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 09:22 AM

Re: Who has done the power brake upgrade on a CJ?

I have installed the GM dual diaphragm booster in place of my original jeep booster. The results are extraordinary. Never driven a vehicle with power brakes like these, and I have 33" tires.

The input linkage on the GM's are of various lengths. The linkage / arm can be removed if the booster is disassembled. I had the rebuilder install an arm that was of the right lenght when he rebuilt it. He strongly recommended against welding the arm on the booster as the heat could damage the booster. If you are after a rebuilt booster, why not do it the right way anyhow? Find a rebuilder that will work with you. The results are worth it. The booster bolts to the stock bracket, but the holes need to be widened. The master cylinder from my previous booster bolts right on. The "piston" rod needs to be elongated, but it just floats between the booster and master cylinder, so you can remove it to weld it, or make a longer rod from a piece of rod. It's nothing special, just a rod that is rounded on one end.

If you want powerful power assist, this will do it for you. At least 4x the original stopping power. Can easily lock up all four tires on pavement with my heel on the floor.

Tim

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, Lockright, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, AMC 20 1pc axles, GM dual diaphragm brake booster
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Hey Tim,
What kind of shop rebuilds brake boosters?

Thanks,
Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 03:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tom,

You took the words out of my mouth. What kind of shop can I get to do this job? Do I look in the yellow pages under "custom brake fabrication"? Or will any decent shop be able to do this type of work? I ask because I would love to get some power brakes to slow down those big ole 35's. They seem to hate my manual brakes as much as my wife does.

G-Man, 83' CJ7, Detroit's and 4.56's front and rear, 35 Baja Claws
Wheel it today, it could be a housing development tomorrow.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I will probably shorten the GM booster actuator and weld the end on. This is how they do it in the Magazine write-up. They use a set of vise-grips as a heat sink and warn not to get the actuator arm to hot as it will ruin the diaphram. I am sure if I am careful it will be fine. I ordered the Wrangler bracket today from an '87 model the part number is(83502847) it was $27. I always get a different price at different dealers, I was sure it was only $14 but I only had time for one dealer today so I went ahead and ordered it. I got a rebuilt Master Cylinder for $38 w/lifetime warranty. And the local junkyard quoted me $35 for a used '85 Cadillac booster. So for around $100 I will have some serious stopping power. It is possible that I may need a new proportioning valve, but I am going to wait and see if it works. I won't be able to work on it until after the holidays but I will post my results. If anyone has an accurate measurement for the stock actuator arm I would really appreciate it if they would post it.

Thanks,
Tom

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 06:07 PM

I found a place here in Winnipeg called Superior Brake and Clutch that rebuilds them and they charged me $150.00 canadian plus my old booster as a core. They installed a ford rod they had lying around that was the right length, and gave me a longer piston rod to trim down. If you want them to do it, call them at 204-772-1704. I was trying to get a rebuilt oem type booster and they are all out of stock here in Canada under several brand names, so the parts chain gave me the name of superior who rebuilds them locally. You will love the results.

Tim

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, Lockright, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, AMC 20 1pc axles, GM dual diaphragm brake booster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode