Distributor problem? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 09:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Distributor problem?

I just noticed something a little strange tonite that I don't believe I've seen before and can't explain. I was working on my Jeep and it was idling, and I looked at the distributor and it was wobbling slightly back and forth, not just the shaft, so its not the bearing, this is while it was running, the whole thing was very slightly physically moving, maybe a 32nd of an inch. Remember, totally rebuilt 258, about 20 miles. I'm thinking maybe the cam is out of true, but I've neverheard of that being a problem. Anyone got any ideas?

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 09:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Distributor problem?

How much beer did you drink that day?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Just kidding. This is a new one on me. Hopefully, someone had seen this before...I just had to throw in the [email protected] comment... Good luck.

Tommy B. in AZ -
More Guts than Brains.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 10:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Was it wobbling or actually turning? Wouldn't the vaccuum advance system turn the cap to automatically advance the timing? Just an idea......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 11:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Umm, no. The cap is clipped to the distributor body which is clamped to the engine block. It's not supposed to move. The vacuum advance changes the rotor's position relative to the individual cylinder posts inside the cap.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 11:32 AM
Way Outta Control

I'd doubt the internals of the engine were off. Back to basics... is the distributor fully seated and locked down? If so, is the distributor new, or rebuilt? If not, I'b be looking at the distribtor and the internal shaft bearing....I think it's failing.

Happy Holidays and Safe Jeepin'

Larry
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 12:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This is one of those late in the evening, tired sort of things. After making this post and then sitting down and just thinking this thru the proverbial lightbulb went on above my head. Went back out in the garage, the darn distributor hold down bolt was slightly loose, it even made the timeing go slightly off. If I had thought about it beforehand I would have figured it out, because the idle suddenly jumped from 750 to over 1000 also. I haven't started it again, but I'll bet that was the problem. A little Locktite and a lock washer so this doesn't happen again! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode