Yj unstable on ice! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Yj unstable on ice!

I was wondering what a stock Yj handles like on ice. I ask this question because I have never drivin a short wheelbase jeep in winter before. I have drivin XJs and fullsize dodge 4x4 pickups in ice so I am no stanger to four-wheel-drive. I bought my Yj in june and the thing drives straight as a bullet on dry pavement but the first time I drove it on an icy road was the scariest day of my life. Xj's handle great on ice(In four-whell-drive) But this yj is a diferent story. It is basically undrivable in two wheel drive and even in four wheel it goes all over the road. its not the brakes or barrings, the wheels turn freely. I know it will not handle like an Xj beacause of the short wheelbase but it's really bad. Now does this sound like something out of allinment or is this just typical of yj's. To give you a hint of how bad it is, on an icy road I would rather drive my old toyota celica rear wheel drive than my jeep in four wheel drive, I get passed by little 1/4 ton trucks on the highway because I can only do 80 km\h (50 miles per), Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. Oh one more thing it is also like this on gravel roads and just because I know your going to ask me, the tires are one year old cooper all-turrains with almost no wear one them.

I need to get a girlfriend I'm getting to close to my jeep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 10:08 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Yj unstable on ice!

Something is up, our TJ (same wheelbase) is awesome, even in 2WD. The Scrambler is downright treacherous though, not sure of why.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 10:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Aren't you running lincoln lockers in the Scrambler? That and swampers would explain the treachary....

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
http://www.tidesys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 10:55 PM
I Do This For The Glory

No, Lockrights, but this was before those mods. I was running open diffs with 31x11.5 Riken Raiders, and the rear end wouldn't stay put, kept kicking out on me. Had to keep the speed low to go anywhere.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 11:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

welcome to the world of jeeps on Ice.....sounds like a disney special......

my CJ with AT's handles ok in snow and ice (and i use the word "ok" very loosely)...but i drive it reaallly nicely when its crappy outside.......if i try to drive like i would when its dry....well, then i would die...but thats an other story.........(the short wheel base make them extra crappy to drive in snow and ice)

heres some pointers......try to coaste around turns rather than power through them......keep somewhat steady pedal pressure......dont vary it much........and be gentil on the brakes......

also if the Siping on your tires is minimal from the factory....have them done...it helps

Jeep'n Greg
http://members.tripod.com/illinois_OR/index.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 11:24 PM
Wrangler88

well, lets see if memory serves me or not, the XJ has the selectrac 4-wheel drive system, which is a full time deal, the YJ has the Command Trac 4-wheel drive system which is a part time, the YJ is easier pushed around because all 4 wheels are one driving force, hence the jeep wants to do spins on ice, where as the select trac full time lets you have the tires spinning at different speeds which makes it easier in the snow, it also just takes time to get used to, and if u have a locker that will make it worse in snow, but hey its a jeep thing! its something you gotta live with ! have a good one hopes this helps!

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd / 31"BFG AT's
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 06:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the same control problems with a stock 90 YJ. It seemed like I was constantly driving sideways on declines and curves. I avoided a steep hill near my home because I never really knew if I would make it to the bottom.
I replaced the stock Goodyear AT's with 30x9.50 BFG's. All was well again.
I can't tell you how much difference the upgraded tires made.
The Goodyears only had 20k on them but they were worthless on ice or snow.
I know you said the Coopers fairly new.....They probably won't get better.

Good luck

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 08:19 AM
I Do This For The Glory

<font color=blue>also if the Siping on your tires is minimal from the factory....have them done...it helps</font color=blue>

I checked into this, and up here, unless the tire says "Regrooveable", it's against the law to sipe them. Just check first is all I'm saying, I've heard so many good things about siping, and wondered why no one up here does it. Ain't that strange! I live in a strange state, must be too close to Canada and all those salt fumes from the ocean.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 09:39 AM
Can't Get Enough

Check with some officials, regrooving is not the same as siping. They may be the same in your state law, but not technically. Its worth a shot. Siping can make a world of difference. If you cannot get them siped, look for some tires that come siped from the factory, such as Blizzaks. They may be worthless offroad because of there sidewall, but for winter driving, they work great, same way to some extent for the BFG AT & many other all season tires.

Good Luck!

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky & Big Game
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 09:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have owned a YJ and now have a TJ. They both do excellent on the snow and the ice. You just need to go somewhat slow. I find that 45-50 MPH on ice is way fast enough. Both had BFG RAT tires which work great on the slippry stuff. One time I was going down a main highway during the winter at about 65 in the YJ. The roads were bare and dry. But, one bridge I crossed had black ice on it. The YJ tried to swap ends instantly. I am glad I straightened it out before the dry pavement again. It would have been grim. Rick

'98 TJ Sport, 31" BFG's (for now), Tera 3", No-Slip in the Dana 44...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode