Ignition module - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Aprentice

Ignition module

At some point in the past I replaced the stock electronic ignition in my 81 CJ5 with points....don't ask why it's a long story. I'm now converting it back, but have a question about the wiring on the module. The connector to the distributor is pretty obvious, but I'm not too sure about the other connector. It has 2 wires, red and white, as I have it figured, the white goes to ground and the red to a source that is hot while both cranking and in the run position. Do I have it right ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 01:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Ignition module

Lets see...I'm looking at my Haynes manual, and for a stock ignition, it appears that RED wire coming out of the Ignition module should travel to one of the small posts of the starter solenoid. Keep in mind though, this wire should either have resistence bulit in, or be wired through something like a ballast resister. The WHITE wire appears to go to the other small terminal on the solenoid. I believe the RED wire connects to the "I" terminal, and the WHITE wire connects to the "S" terminal on the solenoid. Hopefully some of this makes sense and gets you on the correct path. It's late here, and I'm having a tough time reading the wiring schematics without my contacts in my eyes [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]. Maybe somebody who can actually read their schematics can either verify or correct what I just wrote [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img].

--Digger--

http://www.users.qwest.net/~ascanlon
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 11:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

See the attachment for a really nice wiring diagram. Are you doing the TeamRush upgrade? It would definitely be worth it and won't cost any more than buying the stock parts.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-286655-9-174300-PermanentIgnitionHarness3.jpg (37.1 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 01:55 PM

One gets power while cranking(red), and the other gets power while running (white)

I swapped a 1980 electronic ignition into my '74 Postal Jeep. Just check out Ignition Woes

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Aprentice

Sycho... I read and printed your instructions in Ignition Woes before I even started. I see you made a change in the instructions about hooking up those particular wires. The original sounded like the white went to a ground. Makes more sense now. My plan is to do the TR upgrade, but need to get it back to stock first and then go from there. Thanks to all 3 of you.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 11:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

groundhog,
Don't waste the time and money putting stock parts back in your Jeep. The TR upgrade is simply a cap, rotor, and coil change all of which you have to buy anyhow. It's no extra work whatsoever so do it all upfront. If you need more info about what parts are needed, etc. send me a private message and I'll be glad to supply the parts to look for. It's such a huge improvement that I hate to see you putting stock parts back in when the upgrade is so easy and you're already doing the work.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 12:17 PM

Yup- I did make a few changes. I had it wired up before with the red getting power while cranking and running, and the white was a ground...and it worked [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] until it fried the module [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] So I asked around a bit more (OK, so I re-read the instructions TR gave me...) and wired things up correctly. It started working again but that module was too far gone to keep up for long. I wired the red wire to the starter solenoid, but you need a resistor BEFORE the wire or you'll cook the wire if you have to crank for a while....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode