Is changing t-out bearing a two person job? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Is changing t-out bearing a two person job?

I desperately need to change my t-out bearing. I'm not driving the Jeep at all while it's making noise, and I need my ride.
Can I do this myself? I am off Tuesday and that's it this week, and everyone else is working. I've done this a few times, but would like to know everyones opinion.

Thanks

Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 04:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Is changing t-out bearing a two person job?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Sean,.....this is no problem if you have a floor jack or if you RENT a regular transmission jack. I couldn't COUNT the number of throwout bearings and clutches I have changed solo, going way back to hi skool days. I have even done it without a jack, by using a ROPE down through the floor of a truck to gently drop a big Clark five speed to the floor. You won't even have to let the tranny down very much so that makes it even easier.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

I am definately going to rent a tranny jack. First time I changed the clutch we used regular floor jacks. Didn't go to smoothly, so when the t-out bearing got replaced a couple months ago I found somewhere that rented the tranny jacks.
It's really annoying all the work that goes into getting to the bearing and then it takes 10 seconds to swap in the new one.

Thanks for the confidence booster Dave

Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 05:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

For the little extra time and 5 bucks, you may want to save aggravation down the road and do the pilot bearing while you are there. Awful lot of work for a $5 part.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 07:26 PM

I don't know what it is with throw out bearings ,but mine is makeing noise also ,and it is just about a year old since I put my engine in,Since I am getting ready to put my NP435 in I am not real P/O'd
Dont forget to get two long bolts ,cut the heads off and slot the end to use to guide the trans in ,instead of trying to jiggle it in.
I bought a trans jack several months ago in preperation for this from Harbor freight.I looked at one that attaches to a floor jack ,but I looked at the wheelbase on my floorjack and decided it looked too skinny.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 12:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I recently mentioned this on another thread, but I CANNOT COUNT the number of T.O. Brg jobs I have done on everything from heavy equipment to dinky cars, and have had to MODIFY linkage to really get things like I wanted them to be. Wear, bending, bad factory design, and lack of lubrication can all cause the T.O. brg to touch and continue to spin when it should be just sitting there. NEVER assume the linkage is right. Check and provide for good clearance yourself, even if it means changing portions of the linkage, adding springs, beefing up links, increasing throw, the list goes on.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Clutches have not changes since the early thirties and even late twenties, except that now we have superior friction material. The basic operation of the clutch pressure plate is the same. If the T.O. brg is not holding up, THERE IS A LINKAGE PROBLEM.....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode