Haynes vs. Chiltons vs. Fact. serv. man. differenc - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Haynes vs. Chiltons vs. Fact. serv. man. differenc

What is the difference between these manuals/publications? How much more detail/diagrams one has over the other?

'91 YJ, I-6, 3" lift, 31s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 04:03 PM
Addict

Re: Haynes vs. Chiltons vs. Fact. serv. man. differenc

Well this is a relatively simple question so I'll try and answer it. Haynes and Chilton's are comparable in terms of usefulness. Some parts of Chilton's is more complete than Haynes and vice versa. Personally I think Haynes has better wiring diagrams/info but Chilton's is better overall. These will get you buy, especially if you already have a mechanical background. But if you're like me and not all that bright they may fall short. NOW, if you plan to work extensively (or even not so extensively) on your vehicle, the Factory or Technical Service Manual (F/TSM) can't be beat. These are comprehensive shop manuals used by dealers' shops and such. The kicker is they ain't cheap. A reprint of the TSM for 1977 Jeeps cost me about $90.00. This manual covers every Jeep made by AMC in 1977 and covers them inside and out. Invaluable to me. If this is the way you go I can suggest trying half.com (an Amazon company). They have all kinds of pubs/manuals for much cheaper than new. They also have Haynes and Chilton's manuals at a discount. I also have an 800 number where I bought my manual a few years ago. I can try and dig it up if anyone likes. (I got it from a Chrysler dealer.) Sorry for the long winded answer to a simple question.

rich
77cj7304QtracTH400
79cj7frame,ready to be built
83cj7inpieces
"They can have my guns, but they'll have to take them bullets first."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 06:08 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I would like to add the following . I purchased both and have used both when working on the Jeep ( CJ) . I have found that the Chilton`s manual contains quite a few errors within it . To the point where I will someday write them and tell them . I`m going to start taking notes next time as to where they are . Anyone else notice that sometimes the page the index tells you to go to has nothing to do with the mentioned procedure ? ( In Chiltons)

Jeff

<font color=red>
1979 CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

<font color=blue>Dear Santa :<font color=blue><font color=black> I would like : Front & Rear Lockers, Jeep T18 ,CJ5 Tilt Column </font color=black>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 07:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There is absolutly no equal to the factory service manual. It is a three volume set with each volume as thick as a Chilton's or Haynes. It is just full of detailed information and photos. My set cost me $73 on ebay and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Buy a Chiltons or Haynes for the trail, but keep the Shop manual handy for the big jobs.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 07:17 PM
I Do This For The Glory

How true. I have the factory service manuals for the 1978 year, bought them for $20 at a used book shop. I also have the Chilton's and Hayne's manuals, don't hold a candle by comparison. Too bad I don't have a 1978 jeep! And no, I really don't want to part with them, sorry.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 10:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have all 3 and the fsm is by far #1!!!

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 11:15 PM

A chiltons usually tell you the basics, but the facory are the s&*t. If you can get a set cheep go for it. the haynes I has you doesn't tell you a lot, it tells you the basics but leavs a lot to be desired, the haynes does tell you some stuff the factory doesn't about basic stuff though.
barrelroll

'95 YJ Totaled!
Now All I have is an insurance Claim !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode