Throwout Bearing...stupid question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 01:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Throwout Bearing...stupid question

Ok, I've never done any clutch work prior to this time so my knowledge is lacking.

Im installing a 350 into my CJ7 and mating it to a Ford T18.

First question, does the throwout bearing just push up against the clutch fingers? I guess Im a little confused how it engages the clutch.

I got the pilot bushing in the crank, they flywheel bolted up. I have clutch alignment tool in place with the clutch disk slid up against the flywheel. Now I need to install the clutch cover but have no clue what the torque specs are (any idea for a Chevy 350?).

Once I have the clutch cover properly bolted up, is it just a matter of bolting the bellhousing/tranny to the engine block(of course make sure of proper spline engagement)?

Forgive me if the post sounds retarded. Im a little under the weather with this cold I have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 02:38 PM

Re: Throwout Bearing...stupid question

No question is stupid.. The throw out bearing should ride in the clutch fork and yes all it does is press against the pressure plate fingers to release the clutch. All this has the input shaft of the tranny down through the center of the throw out bearing and splined into the clutch plate. If I remember right the pressure plate bolts ar torqued to about 20/25ft lbs. You want to have the alignment tool in the right position, centered with the clutch plate when you tighten the pressure plate. The bell housing can then be bolted to the engine. You can then place the tranny on the bell housing by centering the input shaft through the throwout bearing and splining it on the clutch plate in place of the alignment tool, (which you should have removed after tighening the pressure plate). You may have to put the tranny in gear and turn the out put shaft to mate up the splines as you put it in. Bolt it up and you should be ready for any adjustments that may be needed. Hope this helps.
GP'n

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode