exhaust snorkel? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 06:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

exhaust snorkel?

Hey,

I just wanted to know if anyone had an opinion on an exhaust snorkel? I just had my exhaust work done this past weekend on my CJ7. I got a cat, and a flowmaster 2 chamber muffler. I had the guy bend a snorkel which attaches to the tailpipe and goes up along the tub just a few inches above the tub.

I have had water and mud above my brake lights and I have often shot water out of my old exhaust after being winched out.

I have been told that if your 4x4 is under wanter that you can suck water into your motor if you are trying to get it running (cranking over the motor). My buddy has a suburbon on 35"s and he just lost his first motor. He had water up to the bumpers and the exhaust was just under the water. Is this possible?

Thanks for your input.

1997 TJ w/ 33's
1984 CJ7 V8 SOA w/35's or 39's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/
www.jeepeast.com/overmost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 07:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: exhaust snorkel?

Yes, it is possible to get water in through your tail pipe! The military uses snorkels on their vehicles. They have a flange that has two bolts to attach the snorkel. This way the unit can be removed when not in use. Their snorkels are about six to seven feet tall when mounted on the vehicle. Also remember that their ignition system is waterproof and everything vents to the air intake snorkel.

85 Cj7, 360, TH 400, D300, Pro-jection, D44's, M/T's 35's
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 07:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, I have a homemade snorkel for my intake and my ignition system is "sealed" with silicone.

I will post some pictures as soon as I can..

Thanks.

1997 TJ w/ 33's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 08:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't agree with the previous statements, the engine should while running create sufficinet pressure to keep the water from entering the tailpipe. Of course if the engine stalls or God forbid sucks in water through the air intake which is very low on the YJ (sorry don't know about the CJ) the tail pipe can fill. Remember also that the tail-pipe may already have a bit of a bend in it to clear the rear-axle (at least this is the case with the YJ).

I wouldn't recommend a tailpipe snorkel it will create more back pressure and most likely have a negative effect on the engine performance

Hope this helps

BlueJay
93 YJ with upgrades (and it is <font color=blue>Blue!</font color=blue>)
00 WJ Standard 4.7ltr Upcountry
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 09:36 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Performance, I would think it'd be in place just long enough to go through the obstacle, then remove it, so as long as the engine runs, who cares about performance. I have also been wondering this, and if the military used them, I'm sure we should be, at least on deep water fording.

The exhaust snorkel is probably not needed while the jeep is running, but if it stalls, I'd be glad I had one to get it started again.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 10:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm not an engine man, but I've been told that if you have a vehicle at idle and it has bad valves, it will still run but with a small amount of suction on the exhaust side. In fact, the person who told me this said that it would be enough to hold a dollar bill in place against the tailpipe. Now, you would want to check this with someone like CJDave or another who has engine experience. Again, this is something that I've been told.

85 Cj7, 360, TH 400, D300, Pro-jection, D44's, M/T's 35's
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 11:35 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I'm not buying that. An engine is a pump, fairly complex in the pump world, but still a pump. Even a worn out pump moves air (or another medium), but not up to design capacity.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 11:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The snorkel that I have will not be taken off unless I am driving a long distance on the road (cause its not legal) or I don't plan on any water. All other times it will installed. This jeep is only used off-road.

My main reason for the snorkel is to protect the cat and muffler from water getting inside. The whole exhaust was welded tight too. The snorkel will be sealed and tight so no water should get in there to shorten the life. I also added it cause I feel it would run a lot better than it being under the water a few feet.

Will it have to much back pressure? Heck if I know, but I can't see adding 3 foot more pipe would do that.

1997 TJ w/ 33's
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 12:59 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Boy, that's asking for trouble.

With a Cat, your exhaust produces water, and if there is no outlet, there's no where for it to drain. Short distances are no problem, but long distances or even long running times are asking for a world of headaches. If you're going to do this, plumb in a drain as well, and drain it periodically, if not leaving the drain open except when water crossing.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 01:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK, thats no big deal. I can deal with taking it off at home after each trip to run it and get the water out...

By the way, why does it produce water? I assume your just talking about a little moisture....

Wait... I'm back after a few minutes.. If there is water in the exhaust and its able to get past the rear axle since the exhaust pipe goes over it than it should be able to be blown out the snorkel too, right?? We aren't talking 50ft up in the air, we are only talking 3ft...

1997 TJ w/ 33's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode