258 DIES WHEN I COMES TO STOP WITH ENGINE COLD - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 12:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

258 DIES WHEN I COMES TO STOP WITH ENGINE COLD

i have an 83 cj7 with a 258 and the bbd carb. the problem i'm having is that the engine is not wanting to keep running while cold. i start it and let it run for about a min. in the mornings. then drive on the freeway for about a mile to the next exit. when i come to the light the idle speed goes way down and it usualy dies. but when the engine finnaly warms up it runs fine. i tries to figure out the problem this weekend. i took apart the carb and cleaned the inside out. then adjusted the carb and checked the timing. same prob. the thing runs awsome when up to normal temp. but until then it wants to die unless i'm on the throttle a little. please help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 03:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 258 DIES WHEN I COMES TO STOP WITH ENGINE COLD

Six things come to mind:

1. Check for vacuum leaks.

2. Recheck your carb throttle valve setting. It should be slightly open (usually 1/16" to 3/32") when in the "closed" position. This allows >some< air in, even when cold.

3. Make sure your choke functions properly after it's properly adjusted.

4. Make sure you have the proper thermostat, and that the temperature sensor that lets thet choke know when to open works.

5. Make sure you have a functioning heat riser between the manifold and air intake. This will ensure hot air enters the carb sooner.

6. Make sure the idle speed is correct at cold and warm idle.

Good luck! Let me know how it works out.

[email protected]

Right Wrongs Nobody
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 06:56 PM
CJ Bob

My 83 did the same thing and I tried everything but nothing worked. Finally I did the Nutter Computer ByPass and it worked. Drove it like that for 2 yrs and just put a Motorcraft 2100 and HEI on it. That is the best improvement I think I could have done to the 258. If you want the Instructions to do the bypass let me know and I will give you the URL or E them to you.

<font color=red> 83 CJ7 4" Superlift, 1" Body Lift, 33" MT's, 4.56's, Superior One Piece Axles, Rear Detroit Locker, Warn X8000I, K&N, S.S Brake Lines, 258 C.I., HEI, Motorcraft 2100, 5 Speed, Dana 300, York Air, Arizona Driveline</font>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 10:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mine did the same thing. I finaly adjusted my idle mixture screws propperly and now it runs great. Once it was set I was able to adjust my choke and now it runs as it warms up and after. For a quick check, as its running cold or hot, pull off one of the vacuum hoses from the base of the carb. The one going to the hot air duct on the air cleaner is the easiest to reach and it won't affect anything else when it's off. If your idle increases, your idle mixture is too rich and the idle mixture screws need to be screwed IN.(I spent weeks adjusting them out trying to solve the problem before I realized they controlled fuel flow not air.) Adjust the screws just until no longer makes a difference with the vac hose on or off. Then you can re-adjust the choke to stay on longer and it should run fine.

'88 Sahara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode