351 in a CJ-5 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 09:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

351 in a CJ-5

I have a 80 CJ-5 with the 151. I'm interested in one day swapping in a 351 and either a T-18 or NP435. Has anyone done this swap? What does it take? I'm interested in hearing from someone who has done this.

Justin,
1980 CJ-5
1972 Jeep Commando
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 10:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 351 in a CJ-5

Sounds interesting.... love to hear the outcome

<font color=blue> Muddynut</font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'78 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 10:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have a ford 351w with a np435 in my 80 cj-5. you asked what did it take. well you'll need to either make engine mounts or buy adapter mounts from advance adapters. you will also need an adapter to connect your dana300 to the np435 or t-18. you will need to swap to a bigger radiator and i sugguest a 4 core. the only other thing i can think of is you'll need to redo your clutch linkage. i would build a hydraulic setup because i don't like the aa chain linkage that i run now. there is nothing really hard about the swap. if you have any other q's let me know and i'll try and answer them.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 07:18 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I made my own engine mounts. Fairly straight forward. But I had the T150 tranny. Left the tranny in place and worked everything forward. My radiator is stock 3 core with modified bottom outlet. I did have to add a fan shroud. My clutch linkage is actually the stock Jeep set-up with Ford arms (longer arms) welded in place of the Jeep arms. Little modifications needed here and there, but for the most part just a bolt in.

DREW
IN2DEEP <font color=red>78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 08:49 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>Guy around here did a similar swap in a CJ7 & loves the results.</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 04:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Any pictures or write-ups?

Justin,
1980 CJ-5
1972 Jeep Commando
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 06:04 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

This is full of good info and pics. Plus I've email him and he doesn't seem to mind answering questions. It's not exactly how I did mine, but good info just the same.

http://www.wvi.com/~meach/buildup/buildup.htm

DREW
IN2DEEP <font color=red>78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode