Help with realizing a dream! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Help with realizing a dream!

I bought my í79 CJ5 when I was a senior in high school and had planned to drive across America in it using only two lane roads as a way of celebrating my graduation. I flipped it on black ice and spent two months putting it back together at the expense of my saved up traveling money.
So when I started college, I was determined to save up until I graduated and try again. Well, I graduated and got married a week later (no, I hadnít just met her, we had dated for three years), so there went the chance and money again.
Now Iím gainfully employed and my wife is a Grad student who is talking about spending a summer in Latin America for school. I have the option of going with her and leaving the Jeep (though she is talking about Brazil...donít they still make CJs?) or staying stateside and fulfilling my dream.
My problem is that my old CJ5 is getting weary, as is my walletís reaction to soaring gas prices. What I would like to do is take some of the strain off of the 304 while itís running along the highways (55mph). I figure that there are three ways to go:

1. Move the 304 forward enough to accept an NV4500/D20 and still have a rear drive shaft.
2. Swap my D20 out for a D18 with overdrive and put in a D44 offset rear axle to match.
3. Or leave my 3.54 gears in the axle and put 33Ē tires under the Jeep with a nice lift.

I figure that the costs of the first two are well above my budget...for that I could buy a used CJ7 and swap my T18/304 into it, though that doesn't solve anything.

What does everybody think I should do?

Any other suggestions?

I want to keep the off road ability as much as possible while still maintaining decent street manners. Since I have matured (or have I ?) I have become more interested in tackling some of the challenges offered across America and as such, stock is not an option.
Thanks in advance,

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 09:32 PM

Re: Help with realizing a dream!

A friend of mine just put a nv4500 in his cj-7, Even though he love it, he does complain about the length and weight. That transmission is too big in my opinion for a cj-5. I don't think you can move your 304 up enough to accomadate the new lenth. Who knows maybe i'm wrong. That's definitely a tough call about going with your wife or going across the country. Are you sure that your wife is not going to be upset if you ditch her for the jeep? I know my wife would say "Go ahead honey, it won't bother me" when she really means "If you don't go with me, you won't be coming near me for a very long time" Good luck in whatever you choose.

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 06:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have been thinking about the same issue with my 78 CJ5 304 T150 D20 4.56 pumpkins with 33" tires. (Not the wife thing.) I want to get some over-drive capability that would help with the 4.56 under-drive. I have considered swapping in a Chevy V6 in an attempt to get enough room to install a NV4500. (Still thinking about that one, maybe on the next jeep project.)

My final thought is to swap in a AMC 401 for the tired 304 to get a little more power when needed (looking for a motor to rebuild at this time), swap in a 77 CJ T-18 with 6.32 1st (sitting on garage floor ready to go), swap out the guts of the D20 for a Tera 3.15 kit, then when the bucks allow, swap out the 4.56's for some taller gears (3.54?) to get a better ride to the trail.

The new crawl ratio would be 6.32x3.15x3.54= 70.47 Well within what is deemed reasonable but without to much sacrifice of the "drive to the trail" speeds and rpm. You could even put taller gears in the pumpkins than the 3.54 and still have a better than stock crawl ratio with this set up.

Now as for the wife, sending her to Brazil alone- latin lover types running all over the place- sun and sandy beaches were most of the women are topless.... Humm.... DO YOU REALLY NEED TO STOP AND MAKE A DECISION ON THIS ONE?

Good Luck!
Kriss

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 12:13 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Dear Extinct in Nashville: There is NO WAY you should stay home and let your sweetie go to Brazil. What are you, nuts? What you should do is tell her: "I just cannot BEAR the thought of being away from you." and GO WITH HER. That way when you return, you will have a much better relationship in which to build your dream jeep and then you BOTH go across the U.S. Chicks want to know they are VALUED. If you don't do it, then Xavier in Brazil just might try HIS luck with your chick.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] If she spends just ONE NIGHT with Xavier, she will hang onto that memory forever, and it will unconsciously put a decimal point on the relationship that she has with you.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] And one more thing.....tell her EVERY DAY how valuable she is; and (if it is true) what good ideas she has, or what a great smile she has...but PICK SOMETHING and comment on it frequently. Chicks like that sort of thing.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 01:03 PM
Matt M38A1

How gainful is gainfully employed?

If it's real good then you have a viable excuse to stay, and take a couple weeks off while she's gone.

If it's "I've never had a job for more than four months, now I'm outta college and am wrapping burgers all year instead of just the summers",gainful, then go with her!!!

otherwise I think I'd err on Dave's side.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 04:47 PM

I love women just as much as the next guy, but I gotta tell ya, I just went cross-country with a buddy of mine for 4 1/2 months this past summer. 19,000 miles in a stock 94 YJ. Drove it on the beach in Florida, from Ouray to Telluride off-road over Imogene Pass to 13,200 feet of elevation, had it on Lion's Back in Moab, it touched the sands of the beaches of both oceans and the Gulf in the Florida Keys and in Texas, it drove on Route 66, through the French Quarter of New Orleans, all around the Jeep plant in Toledo, all 400-someodd miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway, and most of Pacific Coast Highway from San Louis Obispo to the Oregon Border.

Get a Jeep, and go see the country. ..but I agree - don't let your girl go. Go with her now, but then take her with you when you go see the country. DO NOT LET YOUR DREAM DIE. There's nothing like seeing the country in a Jeep. Do you think she'll live in a tent for 4 1/2 months? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] She could be a keeper. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Good luck
Pete [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...gyver/jeep.htm
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 04:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ExtinctJeep, Ricochet is right when you are dealing with a women don't listen to what they say listen to what they mean. Didn't you ever hear of the book Men are from Mars women are from Venius.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 05:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

okay now that we have advised him on the lady..
the nv4500.. my friend has one.. and i will say.. its LOUD.. they say its the syncros... but i just know its loud.. louder than my t18 by far.. and its long.. and high.. now he cant get rid of the body lift.. cause of the tranny wouldnt fit.. i wouldnt do it.. find another tranny.. a t18.. np435 or something..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 05:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I think that noise is from the constant-mesh input gearing, and gets worse as you go down in ratio....toward first gear, that is. We have owned several and some SM465's as well. The 465's stay pretty quiet till the input shaft bearing starts to go south.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 05:47 PM
Old Hand

I lived in Brazil and saw some pretty ugly violence. I personally was held up at gun point on three separate occasions. Several times I came upon a crowd of people surrounding a dead guy in the street waiting for the federalis to show up. Gun shot noise at night as common as the Sea World fireworks here by my house in San Diego. Rio is the worst, by far. I was mostly in Sao Paulo and Santos which are a cut above Rio from a violence perspective.

Brazil is a beautiful land. Most of the people would give you the shirt off their back (probably their only shirt). Topless women.....that's the French Riviera, not Brazil (except carnival).

My friend wants to fly down there with parted out VIN plates from an FJ40 or CJ5 and attach them to a new vehicle and drive home.....hmmmm?

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode