HELP....LOCKED OUT OF MY JEEP!!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

HELP....LOCKED OUT OF MY JEEP!!!!!!

ok heres the problem (85 CJ7 factory hard doors).....last year the passenger door went bad...wouldnt open from the outside.....

now my driver side door wont open from EITHER INSIDE OR THE OUTSIDE....meaning im locked out of my jeep....except for the lift gate.....and thats getting pretty old....

so heres my question.....when i pull the handle outside...the inside handle moves...so i know the linkage is ok between the two handles....But nothing happens at the door pin........ i figure theres a linkage inside the door at the stricker rusted or broke off.....

1) anyone have a diagram of the doors internal set up?

2) how do i get inside the door to work on it?

2) how do i get the damn door off to work on it!!! i cant open it from inside or outside!!!!!! HELP!!!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks ahead of time

Jeep'n Greg
http://members.tripod.com/illinois_OR/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 08:53 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: HELP....LOCKED OUT OF MY JEEP!!!!!!

Unscrew the hinges. That'll get it off, then you can start playing with the doors or do as almost all CJ5 owners do...get a soft-top and freeze to death. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 09:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1st of all you need to get the door off and I can only think of 2 ways to go about it. 1 would be to unbolt the hinges and take it off. I think this would be the quickest and easiest. 2 is to climb through the lift gate and remove the door panel. This will not be easy with the door on. once you have the window crank and door strap off you have to take a screw driver and pry those plastic pop in things out. Be very careful with them or you will not be able to reuse them or you will rip the inside of the panel. Once this is removed you should be able to stick your hand inside and open the door. Once you have the door removed take it inside or to a warm place. Not sure where you are but being 12 degrees here I thought I would throw that in. once the panel is removed it is easy to see how everything works and the problem should be obvious. Once you have fixed the problem take a rag and clean off all the old grease and put some new on. Also clean and lube the lock while your at it.

Hope this helps and if you have anymore questions just ask. I have had mine apart twice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 10:04 PM

theres a round pin type deal inside the door handle. It has a little flat spot on to catch the striker and open the door. To fix it unbolt the whole thing and play with it a little. you will see the piece i am talking about- just move it till you get it to catch. It might be a little hard since you dont have much room to work.

78 cj7 for sale (insert tears here).
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 10:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just replaced the outside door handle on my passenger side two nights ago. Another idea to open it is to roll down the window, look inside at the linkage. There is a lever toward the back of the door that you push down on with a phillips head screwdriver, or anything with a blunt edge. I say push down, this was on passenger side, and may be reversed on driver side. Then, as everyone said, pull the interior panel off. If it's linkage, you can probably fix it from here. I had to take off the striker catch cover to get to the handle. I had worn the two contact levers on the handle. It is possible this happened to you because it sounds very similar to mine. With mine the outer handle ended up jamming the interior handle so it wouldn't work. The whole process is fairly simple, especially if it's linkage, the only pain I got into was trying to remove the outer handle.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 10:39 PM
chasejeep7

This image is compliments of "LEVE." About two months ago I had to replace the window. It is pretty easy to get to. You can do a search on this if you want. LEVE helped out with some good info.

Good Luck.

See Jayme ASAP
<font color=blue>C</font color=blue><font color=red>hase</font color=red><font color=blue>J</font color=blue><font color=red>eep</font color=red><font color=white>7</font color=white>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 10:54 PM
chasejeep7

re-attachment. for some reason my computer is acting like a bear.

See Jayme ASAP
<font color=blue>C</font color=blue><font color=red>hase</font color=red><font color=blue>J</font color=blue><font color=red>eep</font color=red><font color=white>7</font color=white>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-285528-jeepdoor.jpg (74.8 KB, 0 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 06:52 AM

If you take a good look at the posted picture you will notice that the latch grabs a post on the body and when it does it grabs AROUND the post. My point is even if you go to the trouble of pulling the hinges off the body the door will still stay attached to the post and you have a door flopping around but will not come off. I would suggest that you try the method mentioned in the post about trying to get the door open by pushing the lever down from the window opening in the top channel.
GP'n

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

yea...the doors not coming off with the hinges off...it doesnt want to let got of that pin! now how do i get into the door panel with the seat there?

thanks a lot for your help so far guy...mucho appreciated

Jeep'n Greg
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I GOT IT!!!

turns out it was bent linkage...i was able to tip my seat forward and pull off the corner of the door panel and straighten it....good thing i dont have huge hands!

thanks a bunch for you help guys!!

Jeep'n Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode