scout axles - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

scout axles

I'm thinking about buying some scout axles and putting them under my 82 cj-7. I don't know what year the axles came off of but the guy said they were in between a yj and wide track cj width. Would I need to get these axles cut down to the same size as my wide tracks or could I leave them how they are. If so, how would they look? I know one thing I'll have to do is get new spring perches, but I think thats all if I don't cut them down. Another thing, these axles are a dana 30 and dana 44 combo and have 4 wheel disc brakes with 3.73 gears. The guy says I won't have to do anything but put the new perches on to run. He wants to sell them for $450. Is it worth the money? I think it sounds like a pretty good deal, but I want to make sure. I'll be running 33" tires with them. Any help appreaciated.. Andy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 05:49 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: scout axles

Well, that depends on the year. If it's a D30 front axle, then it's a post '65 and pre '74 axle, because Scout switched to a front D44 in '74. Also, if the rear axle is 2 piece, it's pre '69, in '69 they went to 1 piece axles. If the axle is early enough, it's got 19 spline axles as well, not desireable. The rear disc conversion alone is worth some $$$, but I'd stay away from the D30 front and 33's, they won't hold up if you beat on it. The front axle is a decent width, but you'll have to move your spring perches outside the frame or have the axle cut down due to the passengers side perch being cast into the pumpkin. I moved my springs, easy to do, or you can have one side cut down like a few other's have done.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

What would be the best upgrade for me if I was going to upgrade my axles? I have dana 30 and amc 20 wide tracks right now with one piece axles in the 20, but they have 2.73 gears so I know if I keep these axles I'll at least have to change the gears. Should I just look for some scout 44's front and rear with a 4.10 instead of the 3.73 in case I decide to go to 35's later on? Thats kinda what I'm thinking right now anyway... Also, what year scout axles would be best? I hate to waste money just changing my gears out on my axles I have now and end up having to spend more money later on to get some heavier axles, so I need to know what would be the best thing to do so I can save some money in the long run. Thanks, Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 07:52 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Actually, if you do a seach on this ("axle swap"), you'll find a lot. Scout axles have zero degrees of caster, which is not conducive to on-road driving. Waggie axles may be the way to go, or even J-truck. I used Scout II axles with 4.10 gears stock, but I already had them so cost wasn't an issue. '75 to '80 Scout axles were D44's front and rear though, and if you can find the 4.10's get them, they're harder to find than the standard 3.54's.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 01:13 PM

80's grand wagoneers are good swap canadates, they have d44's, about 5" wider than wide tracs, only 2.5" wider a side. Only thing you need to do is moving spring pads. They are probably easier to do than scout axles. Also another option would be axles from a j-20, they are hd d44 fronts and rear d60's, if they come from a truck w/ the hd option they are even better and not much wider.
barrelRoll

'95 YJ Totaled!
Now All I have is an insurance Claim !

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 06:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wouldn't buy the axles your looking at if you already have wide tracks with a 1 piece rear shafts...that combo is almost as strong as the D30/D44 combo your looking at. So for $450 all your getting is a gear drop to 3:73s AND you'll have to outboard the springs on the front and build a custom length drag lik to get that nominal gear drop. Like was mentioned Scout D44s F/R would be good or Waggoner axles if you want more strength. The zero degrees of caster of the Scout front 44 hasn't been an issue for me. It doesn't return to center like it used to but it doesn't bother me. A gear swap will most likely still be in your future.

I agree with JEEPN that a D30 and 33s wont stand up to a lot of HARD abuse, but the D30 will take alot. (Its all relative...I'm breaking axleshafts on a D44 rear lately.) I know folks that run 35s and lockers with the Dana30, and yes they do break from time to time (usually axleshaft u-joints), but beefed up with Warn shafts they can withstand a some fairly good torture.

In the long run Dana44s would be best, but if you dont have the cash and you aren't thrashing your jeep, you could go with new gears for your widetracks. Just a thought.

Shain

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

I think I might just stick with the 30 and 20 right now and have the gears changed. I don't give my jeep a lot of abuse mainly because I don't have the money to fix something if I break it. Being in college, money isn't too easy to come by right now. Is there anything that I should think about doing besides putting in the warn shafts? Thanks, Andy

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 10:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Andy:
If you don't absue it, I don't think I'd even do the warn shafts right now. Those suckers are $250 or so per side, aren't they? If your not running a locker in the front axle, I think the Dana30 will hold up fine for you as is.

If you do have a locker in it, I would put Spicer u-joints or NAPA Super strength u-joints in the axleshafts. I'd also keep an eye out for a wide track D30 someone was selling or parting out. Probably $200 or less for the whole axle hub to hub. Use that for your spare driver's side shaft, pass. side short shaft, and spare 2 outer axleshafts. A narrow track D30 with disc brakes would be for $100 or less would be nice too. You could convert to the stronger 6 bolt hubs and the outer shafts will work with your wide track axleshafts. Plus if you found one with 4:10 gears you could use that carrier for your gear swap.

Drivetrain Direct has pretty good prices on Dana gears. I would go with the DAna gears over some cheaper brand of possibly cheaper quality. Also the change from 2:73s to 4:10s or lower will require new carriers for both axles, I think. That might be a good time for a rear detroit for not much more $$. Just a thought. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Call and price what the swap will run and whether or not you need new carriers...and maybe price the Detroit instead of a new carrier in the rear. Then I'd start watching the parts board, other jeep parts boards, local wrecking yards, etc... to see what you can find to cut your costs (i.e. gears, carriers, widetracks with 4:10s, etc...) I just found a set of wide tracks with 4:10s, 1 piece shafts and new seals, bearings and brakes for $500. That makes my CJ8 gear swap simple and cheap. You might also check out Boston Mangler's parts list. He has a D44 front, but I thought there was some snafu with it early on.
Good luck,
Shain

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode