Good day of wrenching.. almost.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Good day of wrenching.. almost..

well.. had a good day under the jeep.. got the rearend out.. cleaned up.. the axle shaft is reading to send to moser eng... then.. i was so rudely reminded that xmas is next weekend.. ugh!!
i now have to clean up and hit the crazy world of "the mall" and purchase some gifts.. if it isnt one thing its another..
dont people know i only have time to eat, sleep, and jeep.. and somewhere in there i need beer time also.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 02:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Good day of wrenching.. almost..

well i've been under my "heep" today too. i pulled both axle shafts from my rear to find both are twisting at the splines! i can't complain because i have been running those shafts for a few years now and they have been abused. the drivers side is worse than the pass but both are twisted. i guess i'll run them until they break though. i have spares.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 07:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i would use the twisted ones as the spares....
i too played with axles today..I really dig the hummer rims under my jeep...but the hummer tires look really small..plans "A"B"C"D"E"F"G" all failed for my steering set up. plan "H" is in, and mostly works. i have all winter to twaek on it..who would have guess that my rear driveshaft would be tooo short after going from the AMC 20 to a 14 bolt???!! i think I'll throw my other dana 300(long output shaft)in till i get one made.

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried..watch for improvements soon[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 07:35 PM

I started out with good intentions of, removing the revolver shackles from the rear(I hate those things), rerouting and cleaning up the rear brake lines(still just temporarily rerouted from the Ford radius arm install), and install a new driver side E brake that I busted durring the last Hammer trip. But the I got a call from a buddy who wanted,..."No",.. "needed", someone to help pre run a trail for a New Years run their club is doing. So how could I refuse a freind? So, I topped off the tank and we went exploring, visited some old silver mines, found an old model A(in fairly decent shape), fought with those damn revolvers up a couple of rock waterfalls, and generaly had a great day. Although it wasnt very productive as far as wrenching goes.
Jeepgod,
Now whats all this stuff about presents, is their something comming up that I wasnt paying attention to? I think I recall Jeepchick mentioning something also.

Jeff
89 YJ
If at 1st you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 09:04 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Hey Jeff,

What don't you like about your revolvers? I just ordered a set for my rig. I'd like to here your feedback.

Thanks,

Keith

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 09:25 PM

There is no way for them to hold tire contact to the ground. On steep hills you dont even have gravity putting the weught of tire on the ground, but they will still open and close due to the forces of the tire trying to maintain traction. Today I was giving them a try again with the traction arm installed I thought they might not be so jumpy. But they still hop to much on climbs. We finally clamped them shut with big U bolts to the frame and walked right up a rock I struggled with for about 15 minutes with the revolvers flopping around underneath me. I have tried everything with those things and they always have the same poor results. I can easily ramp in the 1300RTI range on a 25 degree ramp with revolvers installed, but they suck on steep rock climbs. In my opinion they are good for nothing but show.

Jeff
89 YJ
If at 1st you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2000, 12:34 AM

I had a good wrenching day too. It must have been "Axel Sunday".
I finally got out the BFH and smacked those knuckles off the ScoutII D44 front I'd hauled over the snowy mountian passes last spring. Now at least I can wrestle the housing down into the dungeon (where it's warm) to start grinding on the forks.
Frankly, when I get into the garage I don't know where to start because of too many irons in the fire.
Current projects:
Finishing the windshield and hardtop on the '83 CJ-7 so I can drive it burrrrr!
At least I got the tail gate on last week ....
I don't know why I'm playing with the Scout axel since I just started making payments on a used fully built Currie unit, complete with ARB, 4.88's and Warn hubs ... because it was there, I guess ....
I stripped and sold the rusty tub off the '77 CJ-7 on Monday. Why do I need two hard tops?
Bought a cherry '84 CJ-7 frame on Wednesday. (The one on the 77 was shot).... gotta have something to put all these extra parts on .... the T-5 can go on that ... along with that extra 258 I built at the same time as the other one.
The NV4500 is still on the meat cart but I got the bell housing helicoiled and powdercoated last week....
There's one short shaft and one long shaft D300 on the bench ready for rebuilding (one w/TeraLow, one w/o (for the new frame)... not to mention the Q-Track from the '77 I'm thinking of swapping into the '57 CJ-6 ... hummm if I could find a good 360 I wouldn't need to put the longer front clip on it for an I-6 ... and I still can't figger out where I'm going to store the '77's old 258, TH400, new frame, old frame with the narrow track axels .......
Gad, have I got a bad case of Jeep fever ????
But, I do get a grin on my face every time I walk into the garage ready to pick up a wrench!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode