Where to get new winch cable - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 12:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Where to get new winch cable

I need to get a new winch cable for my warn 8274, I called Warn and they want $160 for it. I was thinking about a farm&fleet store or even buying some online. Any suggestions. I think it's 150ft of 5/16" galvanized aircraft cable.

78 CJ-7/401/TH400/Quadratrac/35" BFG AT'S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 07:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Where to get new winch cable

personally, i'd be calling WARN back and sending them a check. $160 is not a lot of money, considering what could happen if a lesser cable breaks...a new grille, winmdshield, headlight, fender, or head. No, not engine head, your head. Think about the amount of stress on that cable when you're using it, if it snaps, anything in its path is destroyed. There arent a lot of parts on you or the Jeep that can be replaced for less than $160. I;'d bite the bullet and call Warn back, pronto.

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 08:14 AM
Keyboard Implanted

JCWhitney sells winch cable.. like 39 cents a foot.. you could try a farm and fleet.. you could also try some hardware stores.. or a cable manufacture.. i found some at a local place.. for 59 cents a foot..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 10:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

There is that blue nylon rope on the market now. No danger of decapitation if it breaks. I've seen this in action and was major impressed! The sailors have been using it for years on marine winches. Not sure what the cost per foot is, but it may be worth looking into.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 10:55 AM

A good ships Chandelry will carry quality wire cbale, and will even be able to high pressure swage the ends for you. Probably quite a bit cheaper than Warn. With the Warn stuff you will get a nice neat package though with the ends all prepped and the assurance that it is quality material, but high quality cable is high quality cable, and there wont be much difference where or who it comes from.
The plasme cable that Attila is refering to is some pretty cool stuff, but it is more expensive than wire cable. Its over $200 for the length you are looking for.

Jeff
89 YJ
If at 1st you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 11:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Give this place a shot. I paid $69.95 for 150 ft of 5/16. It already has the right ends on it also for installation on your 8274. http://www.recoverygear.com I almost bought that Amsteel winch rope, but for as often as I use my winch it just wasn't worth the expense (like $2/foot).

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 11:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Nick;
Be carefull of what you are buying. There are several types of aircraft cable/wire rope.
There are different cores (what fills in the center of the twisted strands) as well as different
size strands and different quality steel. Check out http://mcmaster.com/ for more information.
They have a good write up that will give you a better understanding of the different stuff out there.
Once there, do a search for "wire rope". Good luck.
-Gus-

90YJ 4.2L NV4500 456:1 33's Twin ARB's
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 11:28 AM

That a good point Semi-Tuf, you need to make sure that the wire rope you are using is suitable for being tightly bound onto a drum over and over again. They will have different rated strengths, based on the design and quality of the cable, but they will also have different handeling and resilience characteristics based on the same properties.
recoverygear.com as Snowtow mentioned would probably be a good source since winching is what they are specificaly supplying the cable for. That not a bad price either, hmmmm might be time for me to replace mine soon.

Jeff
89 YJ
If at 1st you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 02:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Recovery gear's cable looks pretty good and I like the price. Has anyone delt with them before? I don't know if I should get 5/16 or 3/8 cable.

78 CJ-7/401/TH400/Quadratrac/35" BFG AT'S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode