q-jet on a 304 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 02:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

q-jet on a 304

id like to put a quadajet on my stock 304. it has a performer carb and intake right now. anyone with a 304 and q-jet have info on what q-jet you are running??? i have no clue what to start looking for. any opinions are welcome. thanks in advance
Joey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 05:45 PM
Veteran

Re: q-jet on a 304

i just got a stock 4 barrel quadrajet and threw it on.. after a rebuild.. runs great.. i would suggest to everyone on this board to junk your holley's.. and run the rochester's.. i had my jeep standing pratically straight up.. idled for minutes like that.. purred like a kitten.. was thinkin of some sort of FI or propane.. but i was throughly impressed by that carb..
you will probably need an adapter plate..
jeepgod

<font color=green>I may not like what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.<font color=red>
Semper Jeep<font color=black>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 12:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree, The holley is a good carc, but In am planning on dumping mine, and going with a carb shop modified Q-Jet. I just couldn't figure out a good way to make the Holley work real good off camber, and I can't afford FI, consider FI a wasted of $ in 90% of the wheeling I do. If I can figure out a way that a Q-jet will make as much power as my Holley, I will run a Q-jet all the time. I would run a Performer ( or Carter, whatever you want to call it, but consider them inferior to Holley, or Q-jet} Edelbrock had a good marketing plan, and I am sure it made them $, but you can do more with Holley, or a boneyard Q-jet.

Thanks, Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 02:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i agree completely. the performer gave me more power, but it really sucks bad on angles. i was looking into getting the holley digital fuel injection, but its kinda expensive for me. the performer drops a couple hundred rpm just when i turn corners. i really hate it. i figured i may as well try a q-jet since i can get one fairly cheap and if worse comes to worse i can always get the FI later if i need. im jus not sure what model to look at for my 304 when shopping for a q-jet. thanks again.
Joey

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 10:07 AM

The best way to get the Q-jet to out perform a Holly is to put one on an go for it!!!! hehehe,,, You can jet the Q-jet to what ever you want and run it practicly upside down. Try to do that with "ANY" Holly and you get sput, sput, die!!! Well as you can see Holly and I don't get along and never have from the Race community to the daily driver I can make a Q-jet out peform a Holly anytime, well some would say I'm not a Holly mechanic and I will be the first to tell you that. I may just not know what makes a Holly tick, but its not from the lack of not trying. I just have never had any luck with them.
GP'n

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 05:04 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I`m in total agreement with you Q-Jet fans . Had a 1969 Blazer with 350 and a stock Q Jet and could almost stand her straight up too , it never skipped a beat . Q-Jets ROCK

<font color=red>
1979 CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

<font color=blue>Dear Santa :<font color=blue><font color=black> I would like : Front & Rear Lockers, Jeep T18 ,CJ5 Tilt Column </font color=black>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 06:09 PM
Veteran

Why does monosyllabic have so many syllables?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=green>I may not like what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.<font color=red>
Semper Jeep<font color=black>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 07:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

sure.. now you guys post this stuff.. after i had to spity and sputter all summer and learn the hard way....

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried..watch for improvements soon[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 07:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for all the great info guys! i think ya basically talked me into running the q-jet. i still welcome all opinions though. so what kind of q-jet should i look for??? are all the rochesters the same. all i know so far is to get a completely non-computerized one. thanks again for all the info guys.
monosyllabic is just one syllable, isnt it????
haha
Joey

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 08:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm am glad some more Jeepers are catching on. I posted around a year ago on this and no one seemed to pay attention. I have ran a q-jet 2 barrel for over a year on my 258 and still love it. I like so many others had that crappy computer controlled Carter that would die everytime I went up a good hill. I had to roll back down to the bottom to get it started again. This is a scary situation and after having it happen when climbing some rock shelves I would never run the carter again. I looked around and could not come up with a cheap way to resolve this. I was cleaning out my shop and I pulled a tarp off an old 327 I had. There on top of that 327 set a q-jet and I figured it would only cost me a rebuild kit to try it. I rebuilt it and put it on with a little linkage fabrication and have ran it that way for a year with out even a single stall. I agree with everyone, these things can be stood on end and will not die. I love this carb and never have any problems.

I will point out to someone looking for a q-jet that be sure I'll say it again BE SURE to get an older q-jet with a cast base. The newer base is aluminum I believe and are prone to warp. The old cast model will never warp. These are easy to find. Any bone yard will have them. If you are looking for a 4 barrel look for an older Chevy Truck, or Suburban with a 454 and you will find what your looking for. I would look for one with an electric choke as I like not having to manually work the choke and the electric one I have works great. I would also get the linkage with it. It isn't hard to fabricate it, but sure takes longer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode