Can a well pump pressure switch... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 11:16 AM
brendan

Can a well pump pressure switch...

I was looking in the new 4wor at the on-board air article and it looked like they used a squareD pressure switch to activate the pump clutch. It was plumbed upside down, so you can't really see it, but it looked just like the one I have running the water pump in my house. Is all the crack getting to me? Brendan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 11:22 AM

Re: Can a well pump pressure switch...

yes, its the same thing

<font color=red> brownbagg </font color=red>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 11:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well almost the same thing, the manufacturers of pressure switches often build nearly identical products for air systems and water supply (wells). The big difference is the on and off pressure settings and the dwell between them. the pressure settings are adjustable within a certain range, however, the springs will not hold up to the abuse if you exceed the operating range. My well operates at 40-60 psi, the max allowed for the swicth. My air compressor operates at 110-170, that is the compressors recommended range. The pressure switches are both square D, but the springs inside are entirely different.

jjc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 01:25 PM
brendan

Aside from the springs, they're the same switch though? Could I measure the springs with a caliper and buy stiffer ones at the hardware so that it could operate in the 90-140 psi range? Do you suppose that the diaphragm/seals would hold up?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 02:19 PM
Can't Get Enough

Brendan, I am using a similar switch myself. I do have the switch that has a relief valve called an unloader. When the pressure is reached for a cut out there is a small amount of air released.This allows the compressor to cycle back on without a load. Some people feel this is not necessary. I do think it will be helpful for longevity of the compressor. If you need more info let me know, Ricky...seeya...

CJ-7,401,T-18,Pro-Jection,Dana 60's,38" Hawgs, 4" SOA, soon Detroits...
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myh...e/profile.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 07:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] As a former well guy, I have to tell you that the lever and diaphram system in the SqD units are specific to the pressure range, and the bakelite bridge will break if you try to adjust them into never-never land for air compressor use. Take Ricky's advice and get the right one, and you will get the little unloader on the side if you so desire.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Also, one of my moonguys just reminded me that if you mount the switch upside down, you will get an accumulation of gook inside the well of the diaphram which will eventually cause the switch to either be real slow or not work at all.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 08:08 PM
brendan

Thanks guys. The tj? that 4wor put that york system did have that switch upside down. Where would I find that switch? welding supply? plumbing supply? any hardware that carries square D, probably?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 08:27 PM
Can't Get Enough

Brendan, here is the part # from grainger..5A537 The Square D part # is Model 9013 FHG-14J52X It 's specs are: 30 psi differential, 95 on/125 off, has the unloader valve and has 4 ports. Check page 3005 in the big book. I had to go to the er..um Library for this book. Funny thing about this book I see something new each time I open it.If you need more #'s let me know. Ricky...seeya...

CJ-7,401,T-18,Pro-Jection,Dana 60's,38" Hawgs, 4" SOA, soon Detroits...
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myh...e/profile.html
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 09:14 AM
brendan

Thanks alot for the input and #'s guys. I hope that you BORROWED that Grainger's. Brendan

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 10:36 AM
CJ Bob

Brendan I am running the exact switch z50k2 has mentioned and works great, but the new Rosser Jeep Catalog has some very small simple pressure swithches. They are not adj. and don't have unloaders but are set to come on at 80 PSI and off at 115 PSI. for $18.95. Just a thought.

<font color=red> 83 CJ7 4" Superlift, 1" Body Lift, 33" MT's, 4.56's, Superior One Piece Axles, Rear Detroit Locker, Warn X8000I, K&N, S.S Brake Lines, 258 C.I., HEI, Motorcraft 2100, 5 Speed, Dana 300, York Air, Arizona Driveline</font>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode